FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I the only one who thinks its unethical to do this with upgrade certs?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:15 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
I am 30 years old so I represent the "younger" generation and I am appalled by how many people on this forum think that it is okay to confirm U with an MVPG cert and then sneak around the system so that you don't have to deliver it!

Not only does it cut down on available upgrades for the rest of us but it is flat out unethical. If I confirm U with my certs then I voluntarily deliver it to the ticket agent even if they don't ask for it. I am glad that Alaska is finally going electronic on this... increases all of our upgrade odds.

Flame away but I am standing my ground on this.

Duck
I doubt its happening that often. Just because 20 of 200 members have it happening on here is a drop in the bucket. If it is happening that often then its quite frankly the CSA job to collect it. Like above I tried to give a certificate more than 1 time or even 2 times and the CSA said no keep it, perhaps there are times when U space is still available or something. I dont know but Ive only ever heard of elites getting by without using it. Everybody I know who used 1 as non status had it immediately asked for but I could be wrong. I too believe they have it already planned on the books that not all will be collected every time. You aint "sneaking" around the system. The system requires you to checkin at the airport. The error message you receive says that the reservation requires airport assistance. It does not say this reservation requires airport assistance to collect your certificate. I again think they purposely upgrade you without collecting it. 2 including me within 7 peoples posts have already attempted to give the certificate and were told to keep it. Must be plenty more then. Its a two way thing here so you cant lay all the blame on the traveler. Besides that there are times the phone agents confirm your upgrade into U and dont even notate that its for a certificate upgrade. Its not our job to do theirs. People will find work arounds for electronic ones too, its human nature unfortunately. Now if you go to the extent of laminating a certificate as was said in the recent lunch then yes thats a bit beyond the pail. The airline industry as a whole has created that type of consumer. Not so much AS but there are several airlines who make it practically an unspoken mission statement objective to screw the customer any possible way they can. In turn for that the industry as a whole gets lumped together including AS. So when a consumer can punch back rest and get their paybacks rest assured they are. AS isnt really unethical but there are several that truely are. For instance it took an act of Congress for some to behave over tarmac delays....and thats just one issue of many. Right or wrong thats why its done. 2 wrongs dont make a right but 2(certs) left does

Last edited by ANC; Feb 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm