FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ua947 iad-lax 2/24/10: 777x3 with 8 out 10 lavs inop due to no water
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:50 am
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Angry ua947 iad-lax 2/24/10: 777x3 with 8 out 10 lavs inop due to no water

like the title says.....

the original aircraft was supposed to be the 777 (ww2) which came in from muc but as i was walking to the gate, there was a gate change announcement so thinking a downguage and possible bump, i hot footed over to the new gate only to find out all that happened was a change of 777x3's

little did i now.....

all kinds of ua folks are running in and out of the a/c and then both the g/a and the purser make the following announcement: (summarizing) "for those of you about to board untied flight 947 to los angeles, we want to apologize that only 2 of the lavatories on the aircraft have running water but there will be ample supplies of hand sanitizer on board"

turns out not only was it no water in 8 out the 10 heads (only the 2 aft ones worked) but the aft galley was the only one which had running water for coffee tea and etc

wait, it gets better......
turns out that my was a "replacement aircraft" ua950 from ord and sorry, but this a/c was a dog, filthy and there were numerous "inops" other than the lavs-namely lights, fans and seats-including my seat which not only had a broken headrest, it would recline nor would the leg rest extend (adn of course the flight was full )

wait it gets better.....
it's a good thing i ordered a special meal catering stocked only one meal choice for both f and c and there were a lot of unhappy hungry pax

but kudos the crew of f/a's ^. they were great in handling this and really busted their butts to make a crappy situation bearable and i wrote a very nice (and detailed) letter to the crew and gave it to the purser expressing my thanks for the great job they did and that others should be ashamed for not only putting pax in a situation like that but to expect employees to work an aircraft that should have been pulled from service