FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE:LAA 757-200 / 752 Row 9, 10 and Exit Row Seats (consolidated)
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:48 am
gamehendge2000

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
It is no harder for someone in row 10 to exit through row 10 than it is for people in row 11 to exit through row 11, but somehow row 11 manages to survive it. The problem with people in 10 exiting through row 9 is that row 9 has to keep everything they want access to during the flight on the floor. Row 10 walks on row 9's fragile items, and says "Oh, sorry". Then does it again on their way back to their seat. Mostly, row 10 would rather bother row 9 (strangers) than their traveling companions in row 10.

If the other 26 rows of coach can manage to exit through their own rows, it doesn't seem too much to ask to me for row 10 to do the same. YMMV.
All valid points. I try to think I use judgment in these situations (i.e. who's sleeping, who's got their laptop out, tray down, stuff on the floor, etc). I'd also care less about bothering a known-traveling companion vs. cases where everyone is a stranger.

Ultimately I try not to bother anyone, at any time, for any reason. If I can do the least harm getting out of Row 10 via Row 9, I'll do it. I don't think there should be much objection here, but anyway.

None of this would be a problem if my upgrades didn't take so long to clear! Tomorrow 8 am will be the 100 hour mark for my next transcon. If it doesn't come through, I'm already booked in Row 9 - so karma will certainly slap me!