Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE:LAA 757-200 / 752 Row 9, 10 and Exit Row Seats (consolidated)

Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3.8 mm), HH Diamond

Seat Guru says that on a 757 (vers 1) "seats 10 B,C,D,E have reduced legroom, even though they're in an exit row."

Does this mean reduced from standard pitch, or reduced from typical exit row pitch, but still more than standard pitch?

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATORS' NOTE

SeatGuru: 757-200 (domestic)
SeatGuru: 757-200 (75L, international)

AA seatmap diagrams (obviously not to scale):

"Domestic" Boeing 757-223 and 757223 with NGBC seating "75L" "International"

Last edited by dstan; Aug 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm Reason: insert 757 links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have the same 31 inches or so as all the other coach seats. A and F have no seat in front of them.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
They have the same 31 inches or so as all the other coach seats. A and F have no seat in front of them.
Has anyone pointed this out to the SeatGuru people?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Has anyone pointed this out to the SeatGuru people?

SeatExpert doesn't seem to think the legroom is reduced.
Since AA moved my daughter's seat (9D) on a schedule change and due to a 55 minute connection I am moving family members to 10BC.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
What pitch and what legroom? I hate these planes with a passion. What a miserable F experience!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
I have mixed feelings about 10A and F. The infinite leg room is great, but the exit door kind of just out into your space, so the legroom depth is great, but the legroom width is about 75% of normal. So perhaps best for super tall and super skinny.

But, as opposed to row 9, there is at least a window to lean against, instead of your seatrow-mate's shoulder if you try to sleep. Row 9 effectively has 2 aisle seats.

Also, 10A and F is very, very cold imo. Power outlets in both rows 9 and 10, though.

Upgrades aside, I'd rank my 757 preferences as:

1. Row 9BCDE
2. Row 10AF
3. All bets are off from here

I agree that these planes are pretty much bottom of the barrel, but unfortunately used exclusively on the routes I fly.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:28 am

There is also the brutality of seat9B if you get on early, at an airport which uses the middle doors for boarding.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
SeatGuru - I used to really like 'em, but now they are not the only game in town. There is www.SeatExpert.com, started by one of FlyerTalk's own and now a Frequent Flyer Network site (WebFlyer, FlyerTalk, et al) whereas SeatGuru is now owned and operated by TripAdvisor.

In my experience (when AA introduced NGBC and finished installing same) SeatGuru does not give much importance to corrective information fed into their system. Iirc, they would acknowledge my comm with a boilerplate e-mail, but everything regarding the data corrected would remain the same.

10A and F have nearly unlimited pitch, 10B,C, D and E have normal seat pitch and are the usual seats, and of course 9AB and DE are the bomb for some of us with long legs - not much to see out the tiny porthole, no convenient storage under the seat in front of you, sometimes inconsiderate people choosing to ignore your presence on occasion, especially an occasional 10A or F needing to circumnavigate the nines to head aft to the lav.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wink

Originally Posted by dwoolly
Seat Guru says that on a 757 (vers 1) "seats 10 B,C,D,E have reduced legroom, even though they're in an exit row."

Does this mean reduced from standard pitch, or reduced from typical exit row pitch, but still more than standard pitch?

Thanks!
Reduced from typical exit row pitch.

Originally Posted by JDiver
9AB and DE are the bomb for some of us with long legs - not much to see out the tiny porthole, no convenient storage under the seat in front of you, sometimes inconsiderate people choosing to ignore your presence on occasion, especially an occasional 10A or F needing to circumnavigate the nines to head aft to the lav.
Not only 10 A or F, but also 10 B or E will often exit through your space rather than their own row, in my experience. Row 9 is like Grand Central Station. I'm just glad when 11 A doesn't climb over the 10 A seatback to exit through Row 9. When in 9B, I have exited through row 10 to try to make a point (that we should all use our own row to get to the aisle, but it goes over their heads.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by gemac
When in 9B, I have exited through row 10 to try to make a point (that we should all use our own row to get to the aisle, but it goes over their heads.
Not intending to start a philosophical argument (well perhaps I am), but...

Someone sitting in 10A/F has to get by 2 people in order to get to the aisle. Either row mates in 10, or around the door and through Row 9.

Now,while some here clearly believe that if you sit in row 10, you get out of row 10 - looking at the bigger picture...

You're going to walk by/through/over 2 people in either event. But, by going through Row 9, the chances are lower that you'll actually disturb those 2 people or need to ask them to get up. People sleeping, trays down, etc - the whole (Row) 9 yards.

If you look at the greater good, it is less disruptive overall to go out through 9, than it is for 10. You can argue, while sitting in Row 9, that it's infinitely more disruptive to you than had the person gone out through Row 10 (and you wouldn't be wrong...).

But to me, climbing over 2 sleeping/trays down/using laptops/etc people in 10 is far more disruptive than a polite Excuse-me and asking people to pull in their legs for 2 seconds in row 9 - without affecting their trays, forcing them to get up, etc.

I've been on both sides of this in Rows 9 and 10, so I don't complain when it happens to me, as I do it to other Row-9'ers myself.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gamehendge2000
Not intending to start a philosophical argument (well perhaps I am), but...

Someone sitting in 10A/F has to get by 2 people in order to get to the aisle. Either row mates in 10, or around the door and through Row 9.

Now,while some here clearly believe that if you sit in row 10, you get out of row 10 - looking at the bigger picture...

You're going to walk by/through/over 2 people in either event. But, by going through Row 9, the chances are lower that you'll actually disturb those 2 people or need to ask them to get up. People sleeping, trays down, etc - the whole (Row) 9 yards.

If you look at the greater good, it is less disruptive overall to go out through 9, than it is for 10. You can argue, while sitting in Row 9, that it's infinitely more disruptive to you than had the person gone out through Row 10 (and you wouldn't be wrong...).

But to me, climbing over 2 sleeping/trays down/using laptops/etc people in 10 is far more disruptive than a polite Excuse-me and asking people to pull in their legs for 2 seconds in row 9 - without affecting their trays, forcing them to get up, etc.

I've been on both sides of this in Rows 9 and 10, so I don't complain when it happens to me, as I do it to other Row-9'ers myself.
It is no harder for someone in row 10 to exit through row 10 than it is for people in row 11 to exit through row 11, but somehow row 11 manages to survive it. The problem with people in 10 exiting through row 9 is that row 9 has to keep everything they want access to during the flight on the floor. Row 10 walks on row 9's fragile items, and says "Oh, sorry". Then does it again on their way back to their seat. Mostly, row 10 would rather bother row 9 (strangers) than their traveling companions in row 10.

If the other 26 rows of coach can manage to exit through their own rows, it doesn't seem too much to ask to me for row 10 to do the same. YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by gemac
It is no harder for someone in row 10 to exit through row 10 than it is for people in row 11 to exit through row 11, but somehow row 11 manages to survive it. The problem with people in 10 exiting through row 9 is that row 9 has to keep everything they want access to during the flight on the floor. Row 10 walks on row 9's fragile items, and says "Oh, sorry". Then does it again on their way back to their seat. Mostly, row 10 would rather bother row 9 (strangers) than their traveling companions in row 10.

If the other 26 rows of coach can manage to exit through their own rows, it doesn't seem too much to ask to me for row 10 to do the same. YMMV.
All valid points. I try to think I use judgment in these situations (i.e. who's sleeping, who's got their laptop out, tray down, stuff on the floor, etc). I'd also care less about bothering a known-traveling companion vs. cases where everyone is a stranger.

Ultimately I try not to bother anyone, at any time, for any reason. If I can do the least harm getting out of Row 10 via Row 9, I'll do it. I don't think there should be much objection here, but anyway.

None of this would be a problem if my upgrades didn't take so long to clear! Tomorrow 8 am will be the 100 hour mark for my next transcon. If it doesn't come through, I'm already booked in Row 9 - so karma will certainly slap me!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by gamehendge2000
None of this would be a problem if my upgrades didn't take so long to clear! Tomorrow 8 am will be the 100 hour mark for my next transcon. If it doesn't come through, I'm already booked in Row 9 - so karma will certainly slap me!
Upgrade just came in. So, for the love of everything that is holy people, please don't exit row 10 through row 9!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Flight 922 - 757 - SeatGuru Misses Big

My GF and I flew 922 from MIA-LPB-VVI last week and sat in 10 F and E. Seat Guru states that 10F has a "lots of extra legroom" but the emergency slide impedes some of the space. The seat is green rated. This seat should be rated yellow or red IMO. For a guy who is 6'4" this seat was horrible. We should have selected 9 D and E.

For our return only one seat in 9 is available but seats in 18 are available. 18 is all green rated but should I trust Seat Guru?

Thoughts?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but SeatGuru is correct. This seat has substantially more legroom than a standard seat. The same is true of row 18, just as indicated.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.