FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE:LAA 757-200 / 752 Row 9, 10 and Exit Row Seats (consolidated)
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:34 am
gemac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gamehendge2000
Not intending to start a philosophical argument (well perhaps I am), but...

Someone sitting in 10A/F has to get by 2 people in order to get to the aisle. Either row mates in 10, or around the door and through Row 9.

Now,while some here clearly believe that if you sit in row 10, you get out of row 10 - looking at the bigger picture...

You're going to walk by/through/over 2 people in either event. But, by going through Row 9, the chances are lower that you'll actually disturb those 2 people or need to ask them to get up. People sleeping, trays down, etc - the whole (Row) 9 yards.

If you look at the greater good, it is less disruptive overall to go out through 9, than it is for 10. You can argue, while sitting in Row 9, that it's infinitely more disruptive to you than had the person gone out through Row 10 (and you wouldn't be wrong...).

But to me, climbing over 2 sleeping/trays down/using laptops/etc people in 10 is far more disruptive than a polite Excuse-me and asking people to pull in their legs for 2 seconds in row 9 - without affecting their trays, forcing them to get up, etc.

I've been on both sides of this in Rows 9 and 10, so I don't complain when it happens to me, as I do it to other Row-9'ers myself.
It is no harder for someone in row 10 to exit through row 10 than it is for people in row 11 to exit through row 11, but somehow row 11 manages to survive it. The problem with people in 10 exiting through row 9 is that row 9 has to keep everything they want access to during the flight on the floor. Row 10 walks on row 9's fragile items, and says "Oh, sorry". Then does it again on their way back to their seat. Mostly, row 10 would rather bother row 9 (strangers) than their traveling companions in row 10.

If the other 26 rows of coach can manage to exit through their own rows, it doesn't seem too much to ask to me for row 10 to do the same. YMMV.