FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE:LAA 757-200 / 752 Row 9, 10 and Exit Row Seats (consolidated)
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:01 am
gamehendge2000

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
When in 9B, I have exited through row 10 to try to make a point (that we should all use our own row to get to the aisle, but it goes over their heads.
Not intending to start a philosophical argument (well perhaps I am), but...

Someone sitting in 10A/F has to get by 2 people in order to get to the aisle. Either row mates in 10, or around the door and through Row 9.

Now,while some here clearly believe that if you sit in row 10, you get out of row 10 - looking at the bigger picture...

You're going to walk by/through/over 2 people in either event. But, by going through Row 9, the chances are lower that you'll actually disturb those 2 people or need to ask them to get up. People sleeping, trays down, etc - the whole (Row) 9 yards.

If you look at the greater good, it is less disruptive overall to go out through 9, than it is for 10. You can argue, while sitting in Row 9, that it's infinitely more disruptive to you than had the person gone out through Row 10 (and you wouldn't be wrong...).

But to me, climbing over 2 sleeping/trays down/using laptops/etc people in 10 is far more disruptive than a polite Excuse-me and asking people to pull in their legs for 2 seconds in row 9 - without affecting their trays, forcing them to get up, etc.

I've been on both sides of this in Rows 9 and 10, so I don't complain when it happens to me, as I do it to other Row-9'ers myself.