FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:41 pm
Explore

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
We used a suite upgrade cert at this property in late January. Per request, we were assigned a north-facing suite, xx06 and xx07, though 28th floor was the highest they could go (out of 34 floors). Part of the reason is that the hotel has a compact footprint, with only 4 to 6 standard rooms (or 2 to 3 suites) typically facing in each direction aside from the corner rooms which have mainly wall frontage.

Before the advent of confirmed suite upgrades, I'd scored a 33rd floor "Bridal Suite" facing north, but this is probably off limits now as an upgrade (except to Courtesy Card holders, meeting arrangers, newly marrieds, or hi-rev repeat guests) since it is a "specialty" or "premier" suite.

Ceilings are low on most floors of this hotel. We opted for a (free) rollaway in the living room for my father-in-law, in place of the sofabed. That made things a little tight, but he had his own full bathroom. A round dining table also was in the living room.

The north-facing (Bay) view is best, facing North Beach, Chinatown, Telegraph Hill, Alcatraz and Angel Islands. No buildings are in the way. One of my first acts was to call Engineering and have them free up the sliding doors onto the balconies (one each room). They'll do this if you sign a waiver. Then you can step out onto the micro-balcony, about a foot wide (!), and take in the marvelous fresh air and glorious view, with great photographic possibilities.

A very unusual feature, for a U.S. hotel, is the free shoeshine. They'll do it in half an hour if you want, room pickup and delivery. But I believe my wife had trouble logging onto the Internet, since you're supposed to incur a charge and have it reversed, instead of more logically entering your room number for a free session.

We found the hors d'oeuvres at the Grand Club, 32nd floor, to be skimpy compared with the HR SF, HR SFO, or the Grand New York. Also, the club is small compared with the aforementioned properties, and gets crowded at breakfast. However, the dessert selection was decent.

For breakfast, we had booked the AAA BREAKF rate, entitling us to visit the Grandviews Restaurant on the top, 36th floor. As usual at Hyatt, the front desk said the rate was good only for the buffet until we pressed the point by referring to the T&C. They then said the three of us could incur $50 in charges instead of the buffet (not sure if 2 people also could have gotten $50). After preliminaries at the club, we ordered intelligently at Grandviews, incurring around $54 including gratuity. The entire charge was removed.

Grandviews truly does have incredible views in both westerly and northerly directions, largely unhindered by other highrises. It's a spectacular setting for dinner or a drink in the adjacent lounge, featuring soft live music instead of the big band and noisy atmosphere of the nearby Intercontinental Mark Hopkins rooftop lounge, the fabled Top of the Mark. The Grand Hyatt has no F&B outlets (except maybe a cart) on the ground floor, or on any level except the top floor.

All in all, a fine stay at a good weekend rate. Recommended.

Last edited by Explore; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:11 pm