FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MUC or Bust
Thread: MUC or Bust
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2001, 4:29 pm
Bin707

Programs: AC E SPG Gold
Hi all - first time caller here. Just got back from a weekend in MUC, but had the good fortune to go Friday, thus missing the worst of the YYZ weather. Was delayed almost 2 hours departing on Friday, blame being given to "galley problems" and the capt. assuring us he wanted to make sure there was enough food aboard for such a long flight. Surprised it was that much of an issue, given that the plane was more lightly-loaded than any I've ever flown to Europe - basically, if you didn't want a seat-companion (opponent?), you didn't have to have one in the back, and there seemed to be 3 or 4 people at most up front.
Trip over uneventful, by the time I'd navigated my way through the S- and U-Bahn to the Sheraton Arabella was around 14:00 Sat. Had to decide whether to make my way to the Olympic Stadium where Bayern Munich were playing FC Cologne, or take a nap - nap won, Bayern tied 1-1. Was somewhat put off the football match by the fact that when I arrived at the Hauptbahnhof, an express was disgorging Cologne supporters complete with the noise, jeering, drinking and general air of a barbarian invasion that so often accompanies football in Europe these days.
Anyway, I pottered into the city later in the afternoon, to be reminded of how depressing it can be in German cities on Saturday afternoons, with all the shops firmly shuttered. Weather didn't help, snow flurries and zero degrees. Had a decent dinner with decenter Pils at the restaurant at the Sheraton Grand, which is maybe 50 metres from the other Sheraton at Arabella Park.
Made my way to the airport today for a supposed 11:45 departure which actually took place at about 1:15. Captain (same as outbound) again pointed the finger at galley problems! Interesting wrinkle - the 767 was in domestic config, 2/2/2 up front, and the in-charge F/A came on to apologise to the folks in J for the absence of individual video screens, and to say that agents would meet the flight in YYZ to dish out $300 credit vouchers to make up for this - I'd be interested to know if you got these on upgrades, as well as if you'd paid for "J". No customs problems in YYZ, agent looked at me as if I had 2 heads (neither containing a brain) when I explained why I'd been all that way for such a short time, but no secondary inspection.
All in all, tired but well-equipped with "Q" and bonus miles!