FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New one way fare to YWG
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2001, 2:36 pm
Guava
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is in fact a response to competition by Canada 3000, then I say matching the price or perhaps, simply reducing the price isn't attractive at all to me. It used to be if this was a CP new route, I'll be glad to try it out for a weekend getaway because I know I can be upgraded. The upgrade would be the most important incentive for me to choose AC over Canada 3000. Since this is a non-upgradeable fare, I have no incentive of flying with AC even for a similar, if not, slightly higher price than Canada 3000. Furthermore, this kind of fare usually comes with lots or restrictions (i.e. minimum stay, time of the day and etc...). If I can get a better fare with Canada 3000 and with more freedom, why should I bother with AC when I get only 50% of mileage which is about (50% of 920 miles per one way = 460)!? What can I do with 460 miles? It's totally economic inefficient from a frequent traveller's point of view.

Air Canada has been recently criticized for lack of generous upgrade policy. I think it's wise for Air Canada not to have a too generous upgrade policy, but some changes are definitely recommendable in order for AC to stay competitive. AC's upgrade system is using certifiactes, which is better controlled and better managed than most other North-American counterparts. While it's not as generous as some of us might want, those certificates become more valuable and represent a precious recongnition from AC about our business and loyalty. Since most Elite and Super Elite members don't get to have lots of surplus of certificates due to their rarety, it's unlikely that SE members would want to use a system-wide certificates for such a short-haul flight. But if they do, why can't they use it on L and Q fare? I can understand that AC does not want easy upgrade policy, so perhaps this L & Q restrictions can be kept for Int'l flights. For domestic North-American flights, they really should allow upgrade from L or Q fare; otherwise, there is no incentive for most frequent flyers to buy such fare for leisure purposes. They will be beaten by their competitiors in the mid-long term within North-America, and I am 100% positive of that.

As a suggestion, they can restrict the upgradeable seats within North-America from L & Q fare to say, 15% of the max. J seats available of the flight. If this inventory is depleted, then no more upgrade from L & Q are allowed for that flight. By doing so, they make sure they can reward their most loyal customers accordingly to their status since SE>E>P. Other options or features to be included such as: 1) Exclusive to SE members only. 2) Stand-by upgrade allowed at airport for SE members from L&Q fare.

So by open the door a little bit or perhaps include some possibilities for Elite too, this would make their policy more rewarding to their most loyal customers and make AC more competitive VS. the smaller airlines.

Oh, Empress, I have a question and hopefully you can help me out. I try to go to itn site and find the expert mode where it will allow me to see the inventory of each flight class by class. But I went there and couldn't find the expert mode. Can you tell me exactly which topic/areas I need to look for in order to in find expert mode?
Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 02-10-2001).]