New one way fare to YWG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2001, 12:08 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

New one way fare to YWG

From Toronto Star today:

$129 One way YYZ-YWG.

Here's the lowest one-way fare with all the freedom you can use. No advance purchase. No minimum or maximum stay. Just choose from any of our 7 nonstops every business day, and come and go as you please.

Flights are operated by Air Canada only. Tickets must be purchased by April 30, 2001.
I'll find out what class it is in later, most likely L.
Old Feb 10, 2001, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Winnipeg Free Press has the same ad. With 10 flights a day, business must be slow. Theatre district here I come.
Old Feb 10, 2001, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Ad appears in National Post and Globe & Mail, and is also likely a response to Royal/C3000 competition. Funny thing airbus320, I was thinking this was a chance to get into YWG to catch some plays at the Prairie Theatre Exchange and MTC, and maybe spend a few days at the Local Heroes Film Festival!
Old Feb 10, 2001, 1:19 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Fare basis is LAC
Old Feb 10, 2001, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

If this is in fact a response to competition by Canada 3000, then I say matching the price or perhaps, simply reducing the price isn't attractive at all to me. It used to be if this was a CP new route, I'll be glad to try it out for a weekend getaway because I know I can be upgraded. The upgrade would be the most important incentive for me to choose AC over Canada 3000. Since this is a non-upgradeable fare, I have no incentive of flying with AC even for a similar, if not, slightly higher price than Canada 3000. Furthermore, this kind of fare usually comes with lots or restrictions (i.e. minimum stay, time of the day and etc...). If I can get a better fare with Canada 3000 and with more freedom, why should I bother with AC when I get only 50% of mileage which is about (50% of 920 miles per one way = 460)!? What can I do with 460 miles? It's totally economic inefficient from a frequent traveller's point of view.

Air Canada has been recently criticized for lack of generous upgrade policy. I think it's wise for Air Canada not to have a too generous upgrade policy, but some changes are definitely recommendable in order for AC to stay competitive. AC's upgrade system is using certifiactes, which is better controlled and better managed than most other North-American counterparts. While it's not as generous as some of us might want, those certificates become more valuable and represent a precious recongnition from AC about our business and loyalty. Since most Elite and Super Elite members don't get to have lots of surplus of certificates due to their rarety, it's unlikely that SE members would want to use a system-wide certificates for such a short-haul flight. But if they do, why can't they use it on L and Q fare? I can understand that AC does not want easy upgrade policy, so perhaps this L & Q restrictions can be kept for Int'l flights. For domestic North-American flights, they really should allow upgrade from L or Q fare; otherwise, there is no incentive for most frequent flyers to buy such fare for leisure purposes. They will be beaten by their competitiors in the mid-long term within North-America, and I am 100% positive of that.

As a suggestion, they can restrict the upgradeable seats within North-America from L & Q fare to say, 15% of the max. J seats available of the flight. If this inventory is depleted, then no more upgrade from L & Q are allowed for that flight. By doing so, they make sure they can reward their most loyal customers accordingly to their status since SE>E>P. Other options or features to be included such as: 1) Exclusive to SE members only. 2) Stand-by upgrade allowed at airport for SE members from L&Q fare.

So by open the door a little bit or perhaps include some possibilities for Elite too, this would make their policy more rewarding to their most loyal customers and make AC more competitive VS. the smaller airlines.

Oh, Empress, I have a question and hopefully you can help me out. I try to go to itn site and find the expert mode where it will allow me to see the inventory of each flight class by class. But I went there and couldn't find the expert mode. Can you tell me exactly which topic/areas I need to look for in order to in find expert mode?
Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 10, 2001, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Guava, you have to set up a profile for yourself and log in. You can then go into your preferences and change the flight availability display mode to expert. You'll then be able to see the "Y9 M9 B7 H7 V2 ..." type display.

FewMiles..
Old Feb 10, 2001, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, AC
If I can get a better fare with Canada 3000 and with more freedom, why should I bother with AC when I get only 50% of mileage which is about (50% of 920 miles per one way = 460)!? What can I do with 460 miles? It's totally economic inefficient from a frequent traveller's point of view.
Guava, are you referring to YYZ-YWG? Is it true that you can get a better fare with C3K with more freedom? $129 sounds pretty low to me. At that fare, I wouldn't even bother shopping around. As for the low mileage earnings, I thought the primary purpose was to get to your destination. Besides, what's the alternative? You mentioned C3K but they don't seem to have "real" YYZ-YWG service (I checked their schedule and they only have 1 daily flight).

For domestic North-American flights, they really should allow upgrade from L or Q fare; otherwise, there is no incentive for most frequent flyers to buy such fare for leisure purposes. They will be beaten by their competitiors in the mid-long term within North-America, and I am 100% positive of that.
I'm 100% positive you're wrong. At least for me. The incentive to buy this fare is to get to a destination at a low cost. What competitors are you referring to? I haven't been able to find any.

Old Feb 10, 2001, 9:24 pm

The WestJet walk-up one-way fare from Hamilton to Winnipeg appears to be $123. I know Hamilton is not Toronto, but on the other hand, it's not Toronto.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The majority of the travellers AC will attract with this fare do not care about being upgraded or getting 100% versus 50% on their Aeroplan accounts. They want to fly cheaply to see their grandkids or friends for a few days. AC had to respond to the competition, and so has to keep market share. Nobody is forcing you, Guava, to fly to Winnipeg, especially in the back cabin!

If SEs and Es (and maybe even Ps) get a seat next to them blocked off so these become the last filled, then flying for 2 hours is not an unendurable experience. And if the flight does get filled, likelihood is very good that as an elite, one will be upgraded operationally. Especially as an SE. (May not get 125% credit, but will get a free drink and a larger seat.)

So what's the problem?
Old Feb 11, 2001, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The heat may have been too much for AC to bear in the discount market as LLNITE fares have magically gone back down 6% to pre January 1 levels - ie. YEG-YYZ $389.00. Same for YVR and YYC.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 5:40 pm

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Well if any of you do decide to come to the Peg, let me know and maybe we can arrange a beer or two.

My e-mails in the profile.

Stewart.
Old Feb 12, 2001, 8:50 am

Originally posted by Shareholder:
And if the flight does get filled, likelihood is very good that as an elite, one will be upgraded operationally.
Feb 9th the 2:15pm flight (AC 1172 - DC 9) was oversold. Asked to be upgraded; "We'll put you on the list, leave us your borading card". Waited and Waited and Waited. Finally paged to "Board immediatetly"! Said I was on the list to upgrade since flight was oversold, told that J class was full, and to get on the plane. Got on, and there were 6 FA's sitting in business, deadheading to YYZ!

Very strange to hear about oversupply on this route when the 2:15 flight was oversold. I am glad I wasn't hanging around for the later flights at 5pm and after - they were probably just as busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.