FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Override
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:19 pm
ramalama8

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Maybe they should do us all a favor and do away with the farce that is the Platinum guarantee.

A guarantee doesn't do me any good when you only apply it when you're not sold out.
Although the "guarantee" is good for some situations, I'm kinda with you on this one.

I was trying to book a room at, get this, the Springhill Suites in Newnan, GA (of all places!) and I was told that they were sold out. So I inquired about using my 48-hour platinum guarantee and they said that it didn't apply to the dates I was wanting to stay. They told me they obtained some kind of special waiver from HQ to exempt them from that benefit for those dates. I tried to explain to them the definition and benefit of a guarantee (that it's there when you need it, i.e.- when the hotel is already full. It's worthless when it's not available when you need it) but it didn't get through to them. (Actually, the agent agreed with me, but said that it was corp policy.) I told them they should call it something else, like a "good-faith xxxxxxx" or whatever. But that they shouldn't call it a guarantee if they can't guarantee you a room.

Anyway, the agent then gave me the phone number for Mr. Marriott's customer service line. I'm not quite sure what that is exactly, but the lady I spoke with was incredible - she also agreed with me about the definition of a guarantee and that she would see if she could get me a room in the hotel. I eventually got one, but they said it was because there were some cancellations. That may very well be true, but I have my suspicions because when I asked one of the hotels' front desk staff what special event was going on that weekend, she said there was none. In a town like Newnan, GA, if there's a special event and the hotel has a corp waiver, it seems to me every member of the front desk staff would know about it.

So what's to prevent Marriott from using the "corporate waiver" excuse when it's inconvenient to provide a room for someone?