FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage running for the future?
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:58 pm
Denver mile hound

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by broms
First and foremost, hello to flyertalk members. This is my first post, and I'm currently writing from PEK after a 25 hour layover due to the worst snowstorm that the area has seen in 50 years! (anyone else stuck in, or been affected by, this mess?!)

My wife and I are planning to do quite a bit of international travel in 2011, and are entertaining the idea of doing some mileage running in 2010 to gain some status to make our traveling in the future easier (with MileagePlus program I should add, which would open the door to Star Alliance as well).

Forgive me if this question has already been answered on the forum (I couldn't find it in my exploring), but has anyone, or does anyone, mileage run for the sole purpose of gaining status for personal travel? Economics aside of course (I can justify several mileage runs leading to an eventual upgrade versus the price of the ticket in the first place). I ask this because it seems as though many mileage run to supplement their work-related earnings (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, do airlines look out for, frown down upon, or even ban mileage running for that exact purpose? Is someone at United going to see my itinerary after a while and begin to ask questions? Or are butts in seats all that matters?

Thank you in advance for any and all replies. I'm really enjoying learning all I can about this site, and am spending my "sentence" here at PEK reading up on as much as I can! Happy New Year to all as well!

You're not alone! My wife and I are doing the exact same thing - planning an int'l trip in '11, so we are running this year to get status (and miles) on UA for next year. We already have 3 8-segment trips booked by the end of Feb, and should have Premier (on segments) by April. We rarely fly for business, but being stuck in the back of the plane sucks. I was a 1K several years ago, and loved the upgrades, first on board (with overhead space at a premium these days it's well worth it), exit row seats in advance, etc.

If you are planning to do a lot of flying, you may consider investing in a lounge membership for your preferred airline - they usually offer cheap/free food and n/a drinks, which will save you from having to eat at airports during layovers. Just make sure you know where the clubs are, and ensure you are flying through those airports.

Good luck with your runs!