Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mileage running for the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold

First and foremost, hello to flyertalk members. This is my first post, and I'm currently writing from PEK after a 25 hour layover due to the worst snowstorm that the area has seen in 50 years! (anyone else stuck in, or been affected by, this mess?!)

My wife and I are planning to do quite a bit of international travel in 2011, and are entertaining the idea of doing some mileage running in 2010 to gain some status to make our traveling in the future easier (with MileagePlus program I should add, which would open the door to Star Alliance as well).

Forgive me if this question has already been answered on the forum (I couldn't find it in my exploring), but has anyone, or does anyone, mileage run for the sole purpose of gaining status for personal travel? Economics aside of course (I can justify several mileage runs leading to an eventual upgrade versus the price of the ticket in the first place). I ask this because it seems as though many mileage run to supplement their work-related earnings (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, do airlines look out for, frown down upon, or even ban mileage running for that exact purpose? Is someone at United going to see my itinerary after a while and begin to ask questions? Or are butts in seats all that matters?

Thank you in advance for any and all replies. I'm really enjoying learning all I can about this site, and am spending my "sentence" here at PEK reading up on as much as I can! Happy New Year to all as well!

Last edited by broms; Jan 4, 2010 at 11:02 pm
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My understanding is most of us are doing the mileage runs for the status miles. I do think the airlines have come to accept mileage running as a legitmate market, United even offers same day turn efares. The flight crews that have recognized what I am doing have been cool with it, got some weird looks and questions from the gate agents when they see the routing. All of this can be dismissed with an honest and short explanation in a confident manner.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Exiled in Express,

Thanks for the reply. I'm really trying to decipher between those who are mileage running for pure status, and those who are running as a supplement to their business-earned miles (air warriors who are close to the next level).

But good insight on the impression from the airline. Sounds like its time to start booking (once I get out of PEK!).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Leisure travel only here.

I'm a server in a steakhouse with a penchant for international travel. When I travel, I like having the best seat possible, the lounge access, the works. Been a 1P for the past three years (coincidentally, since I registered for FT!).

You're not alone!

And welcome to FT!

Chris
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: United, Delta
My travel is all personal and I see that is quite often the case for many on FT. If it makes sense for you time wise and economically, then I don't see why you wouldn't for personal travel.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Chris and Connie,

Thanks for your great replies!

Connie - As I read deeper and deeper I'm finding much more personal travel taking place on FT than business. Thanks for your insight. Best of luck in your travels this year.

Chris - I'm also a waiter finding that I'm meeting my bills easily, and want to do something with the extra tips! Thanks for your insight as well, and that little "beginner's how-to" at the end of your post is a short bible of knowledge for us newbies! Best of luck in your travels this year.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by broms

Forgive me if this question has already been answered on the forum (I couldn't find it in my exploring), but has anyone, or does anyone, mileage run for the sole purpose of gaining status for personal travel? Economics aside of course (I can justify several mileage runs leading to an eventual upgrade versus the price of the ticket in the first place). I ask this because it seems as though many mileage run to supplement their work-related earnings (correct me if I'm wrong).
Welcome to FT! Hope you get out soon.

I did a 36K MR last year to reach a certain status on AA, and to rack up some bonus miles for a future RTW trip with DW in J. Fare rules don't allow me to upgrade Government tickets with SWU, so I did this for personal travel.

As far as the airlines go, here is a thread I started on on FAs an MRs. One even offered to give me a bottle of wine to take home to DW.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jan 5, 2010 at 4:09 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if it makes sense to y'all, do it.....it's been a long time since an airline employee ?ed me about my non direct routing. more often, passport control in the us will ask.

mr's are for status for me.....opportunities for rdm mr's seem pretty rare nowadays, however, they can make sense if cheaper than buying from the airline....good luck...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Another leisure traveler here. I think it is like some kind of disease, once you get a taste of it, you can't stop!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I’m also strictly a recreational /leisure flyer and fell hard and fast for MR’s. I initially flew between 15k-20k a year on personal/family trips for vacations. Delta is the Airline carrier I normally flew and used to always (and still do) see the visual display monitor showing standby upgrades available for purchase. Then I would think to myself, if I just had the lowest status tier with Delta Airlines, I would be flying in first class on this flight. I started with a Mileage run to LAX and back to FLL, to obtain Silver Medallion status and I haven't stopped since. By the end of the year not only did I reach Silver medallion, I worked my way all the up to qualify for Diamond next year. With all the promotions and Elite bonuses I’ve accumulated, I booked myself and 4 friends’ first class tickets to Las Vegas this summer. As the previous poster described, it can easily become an addiction and a favorite past time. The fact that your wife is also interested in going on MR’s with you makes the experiences even more enjoyable. Have fun and let us know how your first one goes!

Last edited by Ryan8925; Jan 5, 2010 at 11:41 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat
I found FT about six months ago and for the last 10 years, I've been doing MR's without ever knowing what they were, but I knew what the result was.

My first was WN CLE - MSY with each leg a separate ticket and the price was the same as CLE - MSY. That one trip netted me 1 free RT on WN.

I was hooked!

Found FT and have learned so much with almost daily information and news. I really appreciate the effort put forth by FT and all of the members!

Thank you for the past and thank you in advance, ALL!

80% of my travel is world-wide business in which I accrued 87k BIS in 2009 before MR's and the balance was a quick PHX - FCO - HNL - PHX to get me to CP.

My purpose of the MR's is to have the opportunity to ride in F on US without cost on my business trips, the free UG's to Envoy for EU runs, free use of airport lounges, free flights for my family vacations, and most of all, early boarding on any *A flights worldwide. I want to make sure my carryon is just across from me above (easily watch for thieves - it happens more than you think).

I try to mix business with pleasure on every trip (although I'm usually alone) and MR's have been my thing.

Most of my friends have no understanding how anyone would want to travel all the way to EU for two or three hours on the ground to just turn around and come back.

Immigration, customs, and GA's world-wide don't really understand what we do, but it's THE TRUTH which is something they don't often hear.

My biggest problem on a trip was arriving in BNE and not knowing that Gummy Bears are considered food (which I did not declare), but gum and mints are ok - two hour visit with AUS customers and $120 fine. Know not to do that again!

Cheers to all in 2010!

Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Go for it

My husband and I got hooked by the DFW-FRA flights for $300 during DBEQM this year. There was a clear payoff benefit: Spend $X this year and a few weekends in Germany and receive upgrades worth $Y. Additionally, the miles we earned would result in free tickets later, so it was darn close to 'free' travel.

Now it's crazy how much I enjoy flying, free upgrades to first, etc. Travel is so much easier/nicer when you can pick exit rows, avoid long lines, and have airline employees thank you for your business, rather than treat you like cattle.

I average one or two 'business' trip per year - usually to academic conferences. I'm worried that this year I will have to spend a lot more to keep my EXP status - because I'm addicted!

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 5, 2010 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by trm2
Another leisure traveler here. I think it is like some kind of disease, once you get a taste of it, you can't stop!
agree with you there, its like a drug for me. I travel for leisure as well. However, now that i have been itching to get my EXP on AA back might do some MR's this year, depending on my vacation plans. I use to be EXP with business trips every year, but since i switch jobs and no more travel, i cant seem to have left the PLAT AA tier for the past three years. This year....EXP BABY
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by broms
First and foremost, hello to flyertalk members. This is my first post, and I'm currently writing from PEK after a 25 hour layover due to the worst snowstorm that the area has seen in 50 years! (anyone else stuck in, or been affected by, this mess?!)

My wife and I are planning to do quite a bit of international travel in 2011, and are entertaining the idea of doing some mileage running in 2010 to gain some status to make our traveling in the future easier (with MileagePlus program I should add, which would open the door to Star Alliance as well).

Also, do airlines look out for, frown down upon, or even ban mileage running for that exact purpose? Is someone at United going to see my itinerary after a while and begin to ask questions? Or are butts in seats all that matters?

Thank you in advance for any and all replies. I'm really enjoying learning all I can about this site, and am spending my "sentence" here at PEK reading up on as much as I can! Happy New Year to all as well!

You're not alone! My wife and I are doing the exact same thing - planning an int'l trip in '11, so we are running this year to get status (and miles) on UA for next year. We already have 3 8-segment trips booked by the end of Feb, and should have Premier (on segments) by April. We rarely fly for business, but being stuck in the back of the plane sucks. I was a 1K several years ago, and loved the upgrades, first on board (with overhead space at a premium these days it's well worth it), exit row seats in advance, etc.

If you are planning to do a lot of flying, you may consider investing in a lounge membership for your preferred airline - they usually offer cheap/free food and n/a drinks, which will save you from having to eat at airports during layovers. Just make sure you know where the clubs are, and ensure you are flying through those airports.

Good luck with your runs!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:37 pm

I have also been debating whether to pursuit MRs for 100K EQM on CO (mainly for the benefit of 4 SWUs for upgrade on international travel).

My work travel is very limited and the must-have leisure travel is probably 1 to 2 times/year TPAC. I reached Gold Elite (50K EQM) on CO based on leisure travel in 2009 with a few MR/mini-vacation. I'm comfortable with reaching 50K EQM on CO again this year but going after 100K EQM won't be easy. The economical trade off between (100K EQM gain/saving with 4 SWU) and (mileage based upgrade to BusinessFirst) is 4*$500+4*30K miles --> $2000 + 120K RDM. However, I'm not sure about the following:

(1) whether 50K EQM can be obtained for out of pocket expense below $1.5k or $2k
(2) how to value time spent on substantial MRs

I'm tied to CO because of EWR and non-stop routes. But now I'm also thinking if I am going after 100K EQM, should I go with AA? I would need deal with connecting flights on AA for those obligatory travels that I must take each year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.