FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:22 am
Ruthalaska

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Many of us are not concerned with exposure of the genitals, but rather (or in addition) with the unknown risk of long-term, repeated exposure to radiation, known to be carcinogenic, or radio waves, of uncertain health risk. This is particularly of concern regarding children, pregnant women, and those who have undergone cancer therapy, as they may be more susceptible.
I have significant concerns about this as well.

Maybe it's perfectly safe. If so, there ought to be some research documenting this. Can anyone point me to some objective (by which I mean non-TSA and non-manufacturer sponsored), peer-reviewed, published scientific research exploring the risks of repeated WBI exposure to pregnant women (and the fetuses they carry)? To babies and young children? To persons with suppressed immune systems?

I'm not being facetious -- honestly, I'd be quite interested in reviewing the scientific literature, if it's out there. And it SHOULD be out there. If it's not out there, if there is no such research at all or if it's all secret, how do we know the technology is safe for everyone to use?