FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WBC upgrade offer doing OLCI
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:09 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I saw this recently, too, and have seen some mentions in various threads here over the last while, where people seemingly in economy class have been offered an upgrade during the checkin, but it typically seems to be for what the posters viewed as an extortionate fee.
Yes, some people mentioned it last year although it seems to remain very rare, and it was clearly more than a 'cheap' business class ticket to upgrade (or at least than half a cheap Z or I return). Moreover, if I remember, it was reported that this was offered on flights which were oversold in Y and where conceivably people may have been op-up'ed instead. These two things make the offer different from NW (which also offers upgrade for a fee when the flght is oversold in Y, but at least for cheap) and from BA (which offers upgrade for cheap when the flight is quite empty in C). Personally, I was never offered the upgrade for a fee. AFAIK, AF never offers this opportunity.