WBC upgrade offer doing OLCI

Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
Question WBC upgrade offer doing OLCI

The KLM website suggests that ECON pax may receive upgrade offers to WBC during on-line check-in process

- I have never received this message. Has anyone ever seen this?
- Is the upgrade fee offered a reduced (flat) fee or depening on the booked/paid class.

thanks
Ben
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Ben,

I have not seen a reference to this, could you provide a link to the page where this is implied?

Thanks,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLM/Your Seat on Board (click)
Upgrade to World Business Class

Like to enjoy extra comfort, access to our lounges, a sleeper seat for utter relaxation, a delightful three-course menu and more? If there are still seats available in our World Business Class before departure, we might offer you the possibility to purchase an upgrade during online check-in.

You can upgrade your seat, depending on availability, at the ticket office or in our KLM Crown Lounges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. You can even ask about an upgrade after boarding.

At the ticket office, you can use any means of payment, including Flying Blue Miles. In the lounges, you can pay only with Miles. Once on board, you can purchase an upgrade with your credit card or by paying cash.
I saw this recently, too, and have seen some mentions in various threads here over the last while, where people seemingly in economy class have been offered an upgrade during the checkin, but it typically seems to be for what the posters viewed as an extortionate fee.

I've not done enough longhaul on KL to have any direct experience - and it became apparent on my last TATL that the entire plane was full, so I didn't enquire at the desk...

I'm sure, anyway, that they would only upgrade at the ticketholder's request based on the fare class. However, I assume that, should the OLCI offer a paid upgrade, that it wouldn't be so choosey about the fare class your ticket was booked in. Whether this would then effect the proposed price or not, I do not know.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I saw this recently, too, and have seen some mentions in various threads here over the last while, where people seemingly in economy class have been offered an upgrade during the checkin, but it typically seems to be for what the posters viewed as an extortionate fee.
Yes, some people mentioned it last year although it seems to remain very rare, and it was clearly more than a 'cheap' business class ticket to upgrade (or at least than half a cheap Z or I return). Moreover, if I remember, it was reported that this was offered on flights which were oversold in Y and where conceivably people may have been op-up'ed instead. These two things make the offer different from NW (which also offers upgrade for a fee when the flght is oversold in Y, but at least for cheap) and from BA (which offers upgrade for cheap when the flight is quite empty in C). Personally, I was never offered the upgrade for a fee. AFAIK, AF never offers this opportunity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.