FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please bring back the SQ call centre in Singapore!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:56 pm
Guy Betsy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Please bring back the SQ call centre in Singapore!

I called the call centre and was routed to India of course, many a times. Though the agents there insisted that there are still a few SIngaporean agents left but I'd just have to take my chance when I call. I was pressed for time, so I felt that I should give them a chance.

I have a fully flexible Business Class ticket from SIN to FRA which was booked to depart on 21st Nov. I called to change it to Jan 7th.

The agent said that the change will cost me $75. I was shocked. I told her that my ticket stipulates that changes are permitted free of charge. I was advised that the change was because it was a 'service'. I told her that the SIngapore ION office told me earlier that my ticket can be changed without penalty and that there is no reissuing required and hence no fee - service or not.

I was then told that if I wanted to get the service 'free' then I should have contacted my travel agent in the USA. Which would be great but unfortunately on one of my earlier calls in Singapore when I called to make a BTC booking, the India office decided to localise the reservation and hence the travel agent in the USA no longer had any access to the booking. That BTC issue was an experience in itself ! The agent who took my call couldn't figure out what the code was for Hainanese Chicken Rice. She kept saying that there was no such special meal. Now is this the way SQ wants to treat their Business Class passengers?

Anyway, back to the issue of the changing of my reservation above... I hung up the phone and decided to take the afternoon off, and amidst pouring monsoon rains, braved a 30 min cab ride to the SQ office at the ION centre. There the agents were most helpful and they indeed confirmed to me that my business class ticket allows changes without charge and that there was definitely no fee of any kind involved. She apologised for the India call centre. But it was not up to her to apologise because she gave good professional service as SQ is famed for. It is the India office that is the problem.

Perhaps if SQ wants to 'save' money, then at least appoint the call centre closer to home where people know what asians like... eg Malaysia! Its close enough and SIngapore and Malaysian cultures are similar.

WHen I call the SQ call centre in SIngapore before, I had a great time from the very helpful agents who advised me on a variety of issues like which BTC dish she liked and why, and why I should choose it over others. Some offered their expertise when I asked if there was a Kopi Tiam food court at the airport to which they tell me that yes, at the basement at Terminal 3.. Now would the indian call centre be even able to tell me if there is a water fountain at the terminals?

You can train the agents to the best of SQ's knowledge.. but then again, at the end of the day, they are only doing their job. Unless they grew up in Singapore, they will not be able to provide the kind of service SQ is famed for in the air. Sadly, people's first experience with Singapore Airlines will be with India!!!

Then again, so are so many airlines' call centres these days...