Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Please bring back the SQ call centre in Singapore!

Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I called the call centre and was routed to India of course, many a times. Though the agents there insisted that there are still a few SIngaporean agents left but I'd just have to take my chance when I call. I was pressed for time, so I felt that I should give them a chance.

I have a fully flexible Business Class ticket from SIN to FRA which was booked to depart on 21st Nov. I called to change it to Jan 7th.

The agent said that the change will cost me $75. I was shocked. I told her that my ticket stipulates that changes are permitted free of charge. I was advised that the change was because it was a 'service'. I told her that the SIngapore ION office told me earlier that my ticket can be changed without penalty and that there is no reissuing required and hence no fee - service or not.

I was then told that if I wanted to get the service 'free' then I should have contacted my travel agent in the USA. Which would be great but unfortunately on one of my earlier calls in Singapore when I called to make a BTC booking, the India office decided to localise the reservation and hence the travel agent in the USA no longer had any access to the booking. That BTC issue was an experience in itself ! The agent who took my call couldn't figure out what the code was for Hainanese Chicken Rice. She kept saying that there was no such special meal. Now is this the way SQ wants to treat their Business Class passengers?

Anyway, back to the issue of the changing of my reservation above... I hung up the phone and decided to take the afternoon off, and amidst pouring monsoon rains, braved a 30 min cab ride to the SQ office at the ION centre. There the agents were most helpful and they indeed confirmed to me that my business class ticket allows changes without charge and that there was definitely no fee of any kind involved. She apologised for the India call centre. But it was not up to her to apologise because she gave good professional service as SQ is famed for. It is the India office that is the problem.

Perhaps if SQ wants to 'save' money, then at least appoint the call centre closer to home where people know what asians like... eg Malaysia! Its close enough and SIngapore and Malaysian cultures are similar.

WHen I call the SQ call centre in SIngapore before, I had a great time from the very helpful agents who advised me on a variety of issues like which BTC dish she liked and why, and why I should choose it over others. Some offered their expertise when I asked if there was a Kopi Tiam food court at the airport to which they tell me that yes, at the basement at Terminal 3.. Now would the indian call centre be even able to tell me if there is a water fountain at the terminals?

You can train the agents to the best of SQ's knowledge.. but then again, at the end of the day, they are only doing their job. Unless they grew up in Singapore, they will not be able to provide the kind of service SQ is famed for in the air. Sadly, people's first experience with Singapore Airlines will be with India!!!

Then again, so are so many airlines' call centres these days...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Perhaps SQ should put these Indian call centre agents on an SQ plane, fly them to SIN for a tour of the airport, lounges, and other SQ facilities (including behind the scenes such as the baggage handling facilities, catering facilities, cabin mockups etc.) and then fly them back to India? This way they would have a better understanding of SQ.

Oh I forgot, SQ wants to save money...hence the Indian call centre :-(
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I called the call centre and was routed to India of course, many a times. Though the agents there insisted that there are still a few SIngaporean agents left but I'd just have to take my chance when I call. I was pressed for time, so I felt that I should give them a chance.

I have a fully flexible Business Class ticket from SIN to FRA which was booked to depart on 21st Nov. I called to change it to Jan 7th.

The agent said that the change will cost me $75. I was shocked. I told her that my ticket stipulates that changes are permitted free of charge. I was advised that the change was because it was a 'service'. I told her that the SIngapore ION office told me earlier that my ticket can be changed without penalty and that there is no reissuing required and hence no fee - service or not.
What would happen if you paid the $75 fee, and then later disputed it with the credit card company once you got home?

Just another thought...When calling SQ on +65 6223 8888, why didn't you press "2" for service in Mandarin? I doubt there are any Mandarin speaking agents in India. But then I may be wrong, as last time when I was in India, my tour guide said she was taking Mandarin classes in the evening!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I would have to agree.. The Indian Call Center is rather mediocre.. Every time I talk to them is like they're going through their guidebooks on how to do things tying me up with my precious time..

At least with the Indian call center, give them clues to do their job not just refer them to the guidebook for solutions.. hence straight "textbook" answers...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
I would rather they just put back the service in the phrase customer service. I'm hardly getting any service once I'm not in a plane.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:51 am
Suspended

I called the indian call center and tried to BTC. They told me that the steak was not availible, I simply called my local SQ office in HK and they were shocked. They then ordered exactly what I wanted.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by bundi404
I called the indian call center and tried to BTC. They told me that the steak was not availible, I simply called my local SQ office in HK and they were shocked. They then ordered exactly what I wanted.
That is going a bit too far, I can understand Indians do not eat beef steak.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by kitsura
I would rather they just put back the service in the phrase customer service. I'm hardly getting any service once I'm not in a plane.
I guess that is why its called Singapore Air-lines instead of Singapore Land-lines..

(If this is not funny, forgive me...)
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I can understand the frustration as I have been a "victim" as well.

I called to enquire if I can be placed on waiting list for return leg of my flight (SIN-NRT-SIN) on "E" booking class. The Indian lady on the line told me that it is not problem and she is able to do that. I just casually asked her for the fare, since I am aware that the online fare and offline fare is the same, just that I have to pay service fee for booking offline. I had a shock when she quoted me a published fare which is far more than the Business Class fare which SQ is offering now.

I asked her for the discrepancy in the fare she quoted and that the fare online. She replied that online and offline fare are different. Fair enough, but how come Economy fare is more expensive than Business Class fare, she is not able to answer and put me on hold for a long while. Finally when she comes back on line, she said that this is the published rate which system is displaying. Once I am ready to purchase the ticket when my waitlist has cleared, I will be able to get the online fare.

After this incident, I decided to take my business elsewhere if I can take other airlines.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:22 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Then again, so are so many airlines' call centres these days...
and that's really sad
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Perhaps if SQ wants to 'save' money, then at least appoint the call centre closer to home where people know what asians like... eg Malaysia!
Or even Philippines. I have dealt with (non-airline) call centres in both India and Philippines and always end up with an easier resolution and find it much less frustrated dealing with Filipino call centres (they seem to cope with the nuances of the english language better - which of course won't be nowhere is good as SG based staff if you are speaking Singlish )
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
I do feel for the paxs who have not been able to get a proper service from the Indian call centre but to assume that Indians do not speak or understand proper English OR provide a bad service OR are unfimiliar with the various international cuisines is an OVERSTATEMENT.

Be rational & considerate before branding 1.3 Billion people in a single category.

Safe Flying

EGT

P.S: I do hope you find my English ok.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER
Be rational & considerate before branding 1.3 Billion people in a single category.
We do not generalize 1.3 billion people, only the SQ Call Center in India, but this is enough.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
When I call the local SQ number in Singapore, and choose the PPS or Krisflyer option, I always get a Singapore agent. When in the US, I call the local Singapore SQ number even if I have to pay for the international call, rather than call the local US toll free number as the later would invariably end up in the ICC, but the former, going through the PPS/Krisflyer option, always ends up in Singapore call center. Also, the benefit of going through the PPS/Krisflyer option means that the Singapore agent knows who you are and has your record open, so you waste less time
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
When I call the local SQ number in Singapore, and choose the PPS or Krisflyer option, I always get a Singapore agent. ...
I tried that the other day.. only to be told "Our agents are busy, please leave a message and we will get back to you within one business day... or try your call again later.."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.