FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Goes from Low to Med as PM
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:51 am
rankourabu
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mooper
I wouldn't redeem international awards even if I was obtaining, say 8+ CPM. Domestically, however, I'm thrilled to redeem at 2+ CPM (often equates to 3+), as I obtain my miles cheaply (anywhere from free to 1 CPM) and I'd need/want to spend tens of thousands of dollars annually on domestic travel if I weren't redeeming miles. In other words, saving myself a few thousand dollars annually at 2+ CPM domestically than spending on something I don't need/want much at 8+ CPM (for example) internationally.
*sigh* no one is questioning personal value one places on their miles.

One is simply stating the numerical facts that you yourself have outlined. Lots of 2+CPM awards, practically impossible to redeem those 8+CPM awards (unless they are at double/triple points)
Therefore, mathematically, DL is intentionally lowering the CPM value of redeemed awards by forcing people to redeem low value (2-3cpm) domestics or double priced internationallys vs those high value (8+cpm) ones you used to be able to get and can still get with other airlines.

Chances are, I will not travel Delta anymore apart from an upcoming $300 to Europe deal over Xmas (see MR forum) booked a long time ago, simply because the miles are well, as uselss, as the 100 trillion dollar note I picked up in Zimbabwe last year ....

I should just for kicks call Delta and ask how many miles would my itinerary I booked on nwa.com in October at 110k in Business cost.... lax-svo-lhr-cdg-evn/del-svo-nrt-lax