FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upside of fewer upgrades - preferring domestic Y!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:36 pm
AquaDyne

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Pros include: If you have a E+ or exit with the seat next to you empty, I find it more private and spacious. Sure beats a bad bulkhead row 1 seat on some aircraft.
+1. I think this will be one of the biggest 2P/1P benefits of UDU, by the way: more space in E+ for those who don't get the UG.

Even tho you have to pay for meals - you have a (usually) bigger choice.
You can always buy the same meals in F if you prefer. They'll even open the snack box and arrange it nicely on a tray for you.

Cons: pay for drinks - tho this isn't a big deal for me on domestic flights and i do have some chits to get me started.
And you get a full "bottle" of wine, as opposed to a glass that holds half that volume and you have to trust that the FA will refill often. Also, 2 bottles in Y doesn't seem like overindulging, while 4 glasses in F, while the same volume of wine, make you look like a lush.

Makes me wonder about when the comp upgrades begin. Will we have a choice to not accept an upgrade, and still have our preferred seat in Y, or will they automatically upgrade seat?
IIRC, United PR indicated in the other mega-thread that you'll be able to opt out of upgrades. Likely best done BEFORE you get upgraded, otherwise you might not have that preferred seat to move back into, as lower status pax might be on-the-ball at the 72-hour point to jump into the newly vacated seats.