Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upside of fewer upgrades - preferring domestic Y!

Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

Can't believe I am going to actually write this but for the first time in years as a 1k I've missed several domestic upgrades from Y. The lesson learned is taht with the right seat, I think I prefer it.

Pros include: If you have a E+ or exit with the seat next to you empty, I find it more private and spacious. Sure beats a bad bulkhead row 1 seat on some aircraft.

Even tho you have to pay for meals - you have a (usually) bigger choice.

And, I often find the other pax in FC to be rude. Hogging luggage bins, arrogant attitude, rude to the FAs etc. Where did the class in first class go?

Cons: pay for drinks - tho this isn't a big deal for me on domestic flights and i do have some chits to get me started.

No hot meal choice - but not such big deal given what hot airine meals are like.

Makes me wonder about when the comp upgrades begin. Will we have a choice to not accept an upgrade, and still have our preferred seat in Y, or will they automatically upgrade seat?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
If the E+ seats had their own armrests, I could tolerate better sitting in them. But I dislike playing 'share the armrest' for 5-hour flights.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
If the E+ seats had their own armrests, I could tolerate better sitting in them. But I dislike playing 'share the armrest' for 5-hour flights.
Agree. The empty seat next to you is HUGE deal breaker.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Can't believe I am going to actually write this but for the first time in years as a 1k I've missed several domestic upgrades from Y. The lesson learned is taht with the right seat, I think I prefer it.

Pros include: If you have a E+ or exit with the seat next to you empty, I find it more private and spacious. Sure beats a bad bulkhead row 1 seat on some aircraft.

And, I often find the other pax in FC to be rude. Hogging luggage bins, arrogant attitude, rude to the FAs etc. Where did the class in first class go?

Cons: pay for drinks - tho this isn't a big deal for me on domestic flights and i do have some chits to get me started.

No hot meal choice - but not such big deal given what hot airine meals are like.

Makes me wonder about when the comp upgrades begin. Will we have a choice to not accept an upgrade, and still have our preferred seat in Y, or will they automatically upgrade seat?
I feel the same way. As long as loads were low on the flight I definately preferred coach over first. I don't drink much while flying and usually the food I purchased at the airport is better tasting and quality than what I got served in first. Tells you a lot about UA's decision to allow unlimited upgrades.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
+1, I've thought the same thing. Well stated in that the whole seat opponent thing is a pain, but I have learned to be pretty comfortable sharing the arm rest. I'll keep my E+ fav seats secret though for now
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:34 pm

Give me 6A or 6F on the Airbii, and I'm cool. You won't hear a peep from me.

I'm still figuring out where to best sit, period, in F, or Y, on the non-PS 75s. Just did a flight in 8E from SFO to BOS. Not my fav . . . For F, I think I'll take row 6 . . .
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold
+1. I think this will be one of the biggest 2P/1P benefits of UDU, by the way: more space in E+ for those who don't get the UG.

You can always buy the same meals in F if you prefer. They'll even open the snack box and arrange it nicely on a tray for you.

And you get a full "bottle" of wine, as opposed to a glass that holds half that volume and you have to trust that the FA will refill often. Also, 2 bottles in Y doesn't seem like overindulging, while 4 glasses in F, while the same volume of wine, make you look like a lush.

IIRC, United PR indicated in the other mega-thread that you'll be able to opt out of upgrades. Likely best done BEFORE you get upgraded, otherwise you might not have that preferred seat to move back into, as lower status pax might be on-the-ball at the 72-hour point to jump into the newly vacated seats.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
IIRC, United PR indicated in the other mega-thread that you'll be able to opt out of upgrades. Likely best done BEFORE you get upgraded, otherwise you might not have that preferred seat to move back into, as lower status pax might be on-the-ball at the 72-hour point to jump into the newly vacated seats.
(Raising my hand) That would be me!!! Love those 1Ks getting upgraded and leaving an empty seat next to me. The trick, of course, is knowing which seats in Y are occupied by 1Ks. I find Ouija boards work well...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The FAQ on united.com addresses this as well. You can cancel the request just like canceling an e-500 request.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: ANA Pt
Can't believe I am going to actually write this but for the first time in years as a 1k I've missed several domestic upgrades from Y. The lesson learned is that with the right seat, I think I prefer it.
I agree; domestic F is not that big of a deal, compared to my absolute need to get international C upgrades. 4 or 5 hrs in E+ is fine. Satisfaction with probable E+ also lowers my gate stress factor (heart rate & BP) in waiting for upgrades to clear, and as 1K, clearing upgrade is getting pretty rare flying in and out of SFO. Most of the time I am 2nd on the list with 3 seats open, and I don't get any upgrade love.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JSlo
+1, I've thought the same thing. Well stated in that the whole seat opponent thing is a pain, but I have learned to be pretty comfortable sharing the arm rest. I'll keep my E+ fav seats secret though for now
Yes, the next to seat is a crap shoot, but in F you ALWAYS have someone next to you. Often not somebody nice. My flight yesterday in F, guy next to puts his bag in overhead sideways to hog the whole bin, keeps sneezing without covering his nose or face, gets his breakfast omelette and says to FA "Bring me some ketchup" and asks again after she nicely says they don't offer it. He must have been a captain of industry! I was impressed by both his status and manners!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:17 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by PanHam
I'm still figuring out where to best sit, period, in F, or Y, on the non-PS 75s. Just did a flight in 8E from SFO to BOS. Not my fav . . . For F, I think I'll take row 6 . . .
Is this a serious question? The non-PS 757 has, hands down, some of the best E+ seats in the fleet. 9A is sublime: great views, free access, unlimited legroom. And, if the stars align, great opportunities to chat up an attractive FA.

And, if seat-back and/or under-seat storage is absolutely necessary (say, if there's the need for intensive work on the laptop), then the windows and aisles in rows 15 and 16 are among the most roomy exit row seats in the fleet, too.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Is this a serious question? The non-PS 757 has, hands down, some of the best E+ seats in the fleet. 9A is sublime: great views, free access, unlimited legroom. And, if the stars align, great opportunities to chat up an attractive FA.
Attractive FAs? Have UA 75s been flying SQ routes or something?

(I keed I keed!)
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Is this a serious question? The non-PS 757 has, hands down, some of the best E+ seats in the fleet.
I wondered the same.

Gimme 16C or 16D any day. And so long as Y isn't 100% full, you often get the middle empty. I find that most GA's hand out seat assignments from the front of E+, and I bet they purposely put the lone empty next to the 1K's in the exit row. It only makes sense, and I can't tell you how many times 16B/E has been empty for me.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:41 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
And you get a full "bottle" of wine, as opposed to a glass that holds half that volume and you have to trust that the FA will refill often. Also, 2 bottles in Y doesn't seem like overindulging, while 4 glasses in F, while the same volume of wine, make you look like a lush.
In premium cabins, I have my wine in a tumbler - not so that I can get more wine, but because it's safer, less chance of spilling. Of course, I'm usually ignored when I say I just want a little; they fill most of it. So, you can easily drink just 2 glasses in C/F and have a great buzz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.