FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upside of fewer upgrades - preferring domestic Y!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:07 pm
sunil

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Can't believe I am going to actually write this but for the first time in years as a 1k I've missed several domestic upgrades from Y. The lesson learned is taht with the right seat, I think I prefer it.

Pros include: If you have a E+ or exit with the seat next to you empty, I find it more private and spacious. Sure beats a bad bulkhead row 1 seat on some aircraft.

Even tho you have to pay for meals - you have a (usually) bigger choice.

And, I often find the other pax in FC to be rude. Hogging luggage bins, arrogant attitude, rude to the FAs etc. Where did the class in first class go?

Cons: pay for drinks - tho this isn't a big deal for me on domestic flights and i do have some chits to get me started.

No hot meal choice - but not such big deal given what hot airine meals are like.

Makes me wonder about when the comp upgrades begin. Will we have a choice to not accept an upgrade, and still have our preferred seat in Y, or will they automatically upgrade seat?
I feel the same way. As long as loads were low on the flight I definately preferred coach over first. I don't drink much while flying and usually the food I purchased at the airport is better tasting and quality than what I got served in first. Tells you a lot about UA's decision to allow unlimited upgrades.