FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elite status by visa - Not fair
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2002, 9:58 am
rmccamy

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Perhaps Doc was referring to the offer extended to non-card-holders in November: Sign up for the MR Visa, and get instant Gold Status through 2003. (I took advantage of that one.)

IMHO, comping status isn't as big of a problem as some people make it out to be. I've been on the other end too (I did my 60 AA segs in '01, with a bunch after 9/11).

The main reason is this: in order for people like me to steal Shooter's room upgrades in noticeable numbers, a lot of us have to start staying in a lot of Marriotts that we don't already plan to visit. If we do that, then the hotel chain has won itself a legitimate new frequent traveler who probably deserves the elite status. If people like me get our new Gold cards and don't change our hotel stay habits (i.e., we keep staying in Hiltons or Hyatts, or we just don't travel much), then our impact to Shooter's ability to upgrade at Marriott is minimal.

The same concept holds true with airlines that give out their low elite levels for nothing. That March 2000 AA traveler did his Challenge to earn himself some bonus miles and luggage tags, but he isn't keeping Kovich out of the front cabin on his 260 segments. Unless the March 2000 traveler decides he loves AA and starts flying them all the time, in which case AA is more than happy to give him his share of upgrades.