Elite status by visa - Not fair

Old Feb 13, 2002, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: Sacramento, CA No longer UA 1K Marriott Silver, Hilton diamond
Elite status by visa - Not fair

I am the only one feeling uneasy about the double credits with a visa card. I have earned Gold this year by actual stays, not on double credits, yet I will be treated by marriott exactly the same as someone who travels 1/2 as much. I feel very short changed by Marriott - I guess we should just have visa buy us all our status. Have to use company mastercard, so no chance to double.... I guess I should have some cheese with my whine........
Old Feb 14, 2002, 1:28 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
I sort of agree but let's face it life is not fair my friend. And there are far worse examples of status abuse around at the moment. Think of American Airlines where somebody who did 10,000 miles in March 2000 and none since is treated exactly the same as someone who flew 130 segments in 2000 and 130 in 2001
Old Feb 14, 2002, 7:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
I agree but disagree. I agree in that I don't feel like simply extending status (like AA did) was a good idea in general. Perhaps a pro-rated system based on amount of points/stays/miles earned prior to 9/11 would have been farest.

I disagree because to enhance those who did travel post 9/11 when buisness was down is a good way to promote loyality. Face it, it's a business, and if Visa is willing to help by coming to the table with Marriott and developing this promotion, those that can take advantage of it should. I for one requalifyied for Gold prior to 9/11, and with last night at the Courtyard in MSY hit Platinum with the promotion and extended qualifying period.

I managed to requalify for all my program status prior to the end of the last year without any specials/promos, keeping Plat on AA and NW, Diamond with HY, Gold with HH and MC.

What I really hate is comped status to some level above the lowest elite level. IMHO, status above the lowest elite level should be earned.

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 7:18 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you considered the fact that Starwoods' SPG has awarded me Platinum again gratis this year and that Hyatt has done the same with Diamond? And Hilton is running a promo too! Actually Marriotts MR program may well be viwed by some others as the least generous! So b3 glad you are!

BTW, I did not get this Visa offer, nor did my wife or any other family member.

I wish we did!

When we are targeted, we love it, and yet, with the very same promo, when we are not, we HATE it! That's jst the way it is, and I'm no different!

Old Feb 14, 2002, 8:34 am
Original Member

Well said DOC. But this visa offer is for everyone. You can activate this simply by paying with your visa card and the doubling starts the next time.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 9:58 am

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Perhaps Doc was referring to the offer extended to non-card-holders in November: Sign up for the MR Visa, and get instant Gold Status through 2003. (I took advantage of that one.)

IMHO, comping status isn't as big of a problem as some people make it out to be. I've been on the other end too (I did my 60 AA segs in '01, with a bunch after 9/11).

The main reason is this: in order for people like me to steal Shooter's room upgrades in noticeable numbers, a lot of us have to start staying in a lot of Marriotts that we don't already plan to visit. If we do that, then the hotel chain has won itself a legitimate new frequent traveler who probably deserves the elite status. If people like me get our new Gold cards and don't change our hotel stay habits (i.e., we keep staying in Hiltons or Hyatts, or we just don't travel much), then our impact to Shooter's ability to upgrade at Marriott is minimal.

The same concept holds true with airlines that give out their low elite levels for nothing. That March 2000 AA traveler did his Challenge to earn himself some bonus miles and luggage tags, but he isn't keeping Kovich out of the front cabin on his 260 segments. Unless the March 2000 traveler decides he loves AA and starts flying them all the time, in which case AA is more than happy to give him his share of upgrades.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 10:30 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
rmccamy

At some point the percentage of an elite status population which is real elite will be so small that they will be impacted. If everyone who is normally not elite is made elite then everyone on the plane becomes elite and teh real ones lose out. It's not that the fake elites don't travel or stay in hotels much it's just that there are so many of them.

Nobody has any idea of the percentages of fake elites in these programs so noone has any idea whether they are genuinely impacted of not but if they suffer from status anxiety (as I do) they will wonder.

When I see an AA Plat in an exit row I always wonder to myself is he a real Plat? If not he got the seat I couldn't.

That at least is the argument against status dilution. I personally believe the only argument in favour of it is: "get over it, there is more to life than status".
Old Feb 15, 2002, 11:57 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kovich:
rmccamy

At some point the percentage of an elite status population which is real elite will be so small that they will be impacted. If everyone who is normally not elite is made elite then everyone on the plane becomes elite and teh real ones lose out. It's not that the fake elites don't travel or stay in hotels much it's just that there are so many of them.

Nobody has any idea of the percentages of fake elites in these programs so noone has any idea whether they are genuinely impacted of not but if they suffer from status anxiety (as I do) they will wonder.

When I see an AA Plat in an exit row I always wonder to myself is he a real Plat? If not he got the seat I couldn't.

That at least is the argument against status dilution. I personally believe the only argument in favour of it is: "get over it, there is more to life than status".
</font>

HUH??

Go whine in AA!!
Old Feb 15, 2002, 2:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kovich:
rmccamy

</font>
You suffer from STATUS ANXIETY?!?!!?!!?

I will agree with you on one thing: we don't REALLY know the numbers regarding "real" elites vs. "fake" ones. (At the mid-tier level, such as AA Plat or MR Gold, I'd say the fakes are less than a .5%. Again, just making a guess. I'd like to hear your guesses.)

I wonder if AA could calculate this ratio for us:

(Number of rev-miles flown by comp'ed Golds/Plats) / (Number of rev-miles flown by "real" Golds/Plats)

Or, how 'bout this one for the hotel scenario:

(Number of room-nights stayed by "fake" MR Golds) / (Number of room-nights stayed by "real" MR Golds)

Both of those ratios are undoubtedly miniscule. But that's not it. You have to combine these ratios with the odds that a NON-ZERO status upgrade demand exceeds status upgrade supply. (In other words, if a hotel or flight is sold-out to revenue customers, the ratios don't even apply.)

My head hurts even thinking about it. The odds of you losing the LAST exit row seat on the plane to a "fake" Plat are probably a million to one (or more). In that case, enjoy your MRTC seat and be happy you aren't on United.

You should see a doctor about your status anxiety. That doesn't sound healthy.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 2:59 pm

&gt;&gt;&gt;Perhaps Doc was referring to the offer extended to non-card-holders in November: Sign up for the MR Visa, and get instant Gold Status through 2003.

Pardon me for a slight digression... I applied for the MR VISA in late November, it arrived in December. I don't recall the Gold promotion, just the typical silver status. Can you confirm this was Gold and not Silver?
Old Feb 15, 2002, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Funny...I just got home from another week on the road, and in my mail I have another oversize postcard from Marriott promoting the double/double with Visa...

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 7:51 pm

Unfair == Good Deal!

I have had a Marriott Rewards card since 1998 but I never used it till Double Points/Double Nights (In 1998 I got a traveling job, I signed up for Marriott Rewards, and then they cancelled ALL travel).

So this card, with starfish and seashells on it, sat in my DayTimer till 30 Nov 2001, when I used the card for the first time. By the 15 Dec 2001, I was Silver. By the end of Dec I had 25 nights with DP/DN. This month, I made Gold with DP/DN. I pushing to make Plat. by the end of March 2002. Actually, my push for nights now is to lock in Gold for NEXT YEAR. So you can whine about me in 2003 also!

Old Feb 17, 2002, 8:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ronin:
&gt;&gt;&gt;Perhaps Doc was referring to the offer extended to non-card-holders in November: Sign up for the MR Visa, and get instant Gold Status through 2003.

Pardon me for a slight digression... I applied for the MR VISA in late November, it arrived in December. I don't recall the Gold promotion, just the typical silver status. Can you confirm this was Gold and not Silver?
</font>
Yes. I signed up for the card in late Nov to get Gold status. Usually the card gives you Silver status, but I had never responded to any of those offers. The Nov. offer was the first I'd ever seen for Gold, so I jumped on it. My bonus points on first purchase was only 5,000 points, whereas other offers sometimes include 10K. I figured trading the extra 5K for Gold status was worth it for me in 2002 because I have a handul of Marriott stays already planned (including a couple resort stays where an upgrade would sure be nice...).
Old Feb 18, 2002, 9:44 am

29 nights already this year =&gt; 58 when doubled, =&gt; Gold for 2003 already, going for Platinum renewal.

(and I really need to get a life. )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.