FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Hotel and new MAR rewards member info
Old Jan 5, 2002, 11:11 pm
RichG

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Stayed there twice last year. Rooms and food fine (especially breakfast). It's about a 7 minute taxi ride from Paddington Station. Taxi drivers may be confused by the name, since it used to be called the Marriott West Hampstead, even though it's not in West Hampstead. Before that I think it was a Swallow - something. You might want to say "the Marriott on (or in) Maida Vale".

Hotel is not near too many tourist attractions, other than Abbey Road and Lord's Cricket Ground. I was staying there on the day George Harrison's death was announced, and didn't think to walk over to Abbey Road Studios... what an idiot! Would have been fitting since I live 2 blocks from the Dakota here in Manhattan and did go over there on a cold December night in 1980. Beatles fans will need no explanation.

But I digress. The only real problem with the Marriott Maida Vale is transportation. It's a bit of a hike (probably about 0.3-0.4 mi.) from either of the two closest tube stations, although there is a local bus from Oxford St., Trafalgar Square, etc. Taxi availability from the hotel is poor, and if I stayed there again I would call for a radio cab anytime I needed to get somewhere in a hurry.

The rooms have an odd energy-saving system that takes some getting used to, which requires the presence of your room key card in a slot on the wall in order for the lights to work.

The front desk personnel were uncommonly pleasant and efficient both times.

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 01-05-2002).]