Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

London Hotel and new MAR rewards member info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2002, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Can anyone give us any insight on the London Maida Vale? I tried to go back a while on the board but couldn't find any listings.

In addition, how is the Marriott program in comparison with Starwood and/or Hilton? We have always gone with Starwood but switched to Marriott since they have so many more locations, particularly on the lower end (although I'll miss those heavenly beds). I've also heard good things about the Hilton program and love the double dipping.

Thanks!
Mike
Old Jan 5, 2002, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Stayed there twice last year. Rooms and food fine (especially breakfast). It's about a 7 minute taxi ride from Paddington Station. Taxi drivers may be confused by the name, since it used to be called the Marriott West Hampstead, even though it's not in West Hampstead. Before that I think it was a Swallow - something. You might want to say "the Marriott on (or in) Maida Vale".

Hotel is not near too many tourist attractions, other than Abbey Road and Lord's Cricket Ground. I was staying there on the day George Harrison's death was announced, and didn't think to walk over to Abbey Road Studios... what an idiot! Would have been fitting since I live 2 blocks from the Dakota here in Manhattan and did go over there on a cold December night in 1980. Beatles fans will need no explanation.

But I digress. The only real problem with the Marriott Maida Vale is transportation. It's a bit of a hike (probably about 0.3-0.4 mi.) from either of the two closest tube stations, although there is a local bus from Oxford St., Trafalgar Square, etc. Taxi availability from the hotel is poor, and if I stayed there again I would call for a radio cab anytime I needed to get somewhere in a hurry.

The rooms have an odd energy-saving system that takes some getting used to, which requires the presence of your room key card in a slot on the wall in order for the lights to work.

The front desk personnel were uncommonly pleasant and efficient both times.

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 01-05-2002).]
Old Jan 6, 2002, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I stayed there for a week last March. One tip, ask for a room away from the main street. It's the main drag from northwest London and Wembley into downtown and can get noisy (but not too bad) at times.
I had no complaints about the hotel. It was renovated not too long ago and has comfortable rooms and ICE MACHINES (woo-hoo). The energy saving thing I also encountered at the Radisson Edwardian in Kensington. It wasn't too big of a problem at the Marriott, the system seemed to only control some of the lights. The one at the Radisson shut off all power to the room including HEAT. Try going shopping at Harrod's in January and coming back to a cold room.

Also, the Maida Vale tube station is only short blocks from the hotel and only two stops from Paddington, which is where the Heathrow express connects. The hotel is also a straight shot on the Bakerloo line to Oxford St. and downtown. You also have access to a full health club in the building. I checked rates there yesterday (thinking about a trip) and they only want 75 pounds a night which is an absolute steal. My neighbors also stayed there last June and liked it.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Measuring distance in blocks in London is not very useful since the street grid is entirely irregular. I still say the Maida Vale tube station is at least 0.3 mi. from the hotel.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 11:56 am

I stayed there just after it became a Marriott over a year ago. The price and service were great, but transportation into the central tourist areas took around 30 minutes total by tube. The Kilburn Park station is closer to the hotel than the Maida Vail stop, but one local warned me of some muggings after dark. I felt safe, since there were many other passengers at all times of the day and night, at least when I was using the tube. I would stay there again if price were my major criterion. Otherwise, London County Hall can't be beat.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Sorry I missed this thread earlier - the title doesn't really cover the topic. I've tentatively booked at the Marriott Maida Vale for a very low rate (for summertime) - less than half of similar room at nearby Hilton. (This in itself concerns me, as there must be some reason for the difference.) A co-worker who knows London much better than I do, advises that this is an "iffy" area and a long ways from nowhere - which is sort of the feeling I got from you folks. I am not afraid of a bit of walking to the Tube station, however I am concerned about the area the hotel is in since we have a child along.

If any of you previous respondents are still following this thread, could I impose for a little more information? I'm especially interested in whether you felt this was a "family" hotel, any information about the restaurant and any other eating establishments in the area.

If you would prefer not to use the board's resources, please email me. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 3:13 pm
Patron

Most of the time when I am travelling to London, I am staying in London Marriott Hotel County Hall. This is a great location in the heart of London, I always get a room upgrade with a grand view of River Thames. To eat English breakfast in the Restaurant is a nice start of the day. But: Most of the time it is very expensive there….
Last summer I flew to London on short notice. I stayed at London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale (former West Hampstead Marriott) on a nice, warm and comfortable weekend from July 21st to 23rd 2001. I choose this hotel because it was – compared with other Marriott properties in Central London – incredible cheap. The big disadvantages is the location. Rooms are nothing special, the aera is save, the tube station is in walking distance – in my opinion not further away than Westminster or Waterloo station for County Hall - and if you like to eat in a hotel restaurant, Care Maurice and Fratelli's are reasonable priced but not cheap.
There are special weekend rates available in London:
http://www.marriott.co.uk/specials/d...pecNOff_homlnk
I searched for the first weekend in March and there is an offer for Renaissance London Chancery Court hotel for GBP 90,-- and for London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale for GBP 75,--. In that case, I would go for the first, because for me GBP 15 (+ tax) are not worth the long travelling time.

Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:00 pm

The rooms in the Marriott Maida Vale were very small, although clean and functional. I would look elsewhere for a family vacation. The area is a little marginal and is a long way from anywhere you will go with the family. There are better alternatives.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Oops, sorry, started a whole new topic about our eventual stay. Please see "Maide Vale Stay" if interested.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
If you are looking for alternatives to Maida Vale, try the Regent's Park Marriott. It's a mile or so east of Maida Vale on the Jubilee tube line. It's a nice area, primarily residential and not a bit dodgy. Slightly higer rates than Maida Vale but nicer rooms. Has a nice exec level with a lovely view of North London. Rooms have "balcony" which actually is part of the roof below. You can walk out on it and see St. Paul's, etc. Hotel was renovated in 2000.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 5:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JBDouglass:
The rooms in the Marriott Maida Vale were very small, although clean and functional. I would look elsewhere for a family vacation. The area is a little marginal and is a long way from anywhere you will go with the family. There are better alternatives.</font>
The bulk of our time in London is at the Renaissance Chancery Court, but I needed to fill two midweek days and was looking for something a little less expensive. Unfortunately I just cleaned out my MR account for an upcoming trip or that would have been the solution.

Thank you all for the great advice and I am now looking at alternatives - unfortunately not all Marriott properties.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 5:51 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
deleted

[This message has been edited by BillMorrow (edited 02-05-2002).]
Old Feb 5, 2002, 6:33 am

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
To YYZFLYER, how was the Ren. Chancery Court? I am booked there on a Marriott Reward this summer. Please comment on rooms and location of hotel.

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 8:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dougef:
To YYZFLYER, how was the Ren. Chancery Court? I am booked there on a Marriott Reward this summer. Please comment on rooms and location of hotel.

Thanks.
</font>
Sorry, but I haven't been there yet. My previous post referred to my planned stay this summer. Unfortunately my company prefers hotels at the airport, so I have to wait for a family vacation to stay in town. I based the choice on recommendations from others here and a very good rate for my dates. Search for "Chancery" in this forum for reviews.

[This message has been edited by yyzflyer (edited 02-05-2002).]
Old Feb 5, 2002, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I was at the Chancery Court a few weeks ago. It's a VERY nice property. Excellent service and a good location. Because it's an older property, rooms can be variable in size and additionally vary in size from floor to floor. Try to get an exterior corner room. There's a floor map on the back of entry door to the room so that you can see relative room size.

As a platinum on a very cheap (L90) rate, I was easily upgraded to a very well appointed room on the concierge level, but the suites seem to be out. There's a nice, but not overly large, concierge lounge that is open all day. Breakfast selections there were primarily fruit and pastries. There were some light snacks and an honor bar throughout the day until about 10pm. On the weekend, the lounge has a lower level of service (no food) and as a platinum, I was given free breakfast in the restaurant on those days.

As to location, the Holburn tube station is about 150 yards from the hotel. You can catch both the Picadilly and Central lines there. This makes for very easy connections to most tourist-related sites. Additionally, Sir John Soane's museum is almost directly behind the hotel and the British Museum is an easy walk. If you have any other questions about the area, e-mail me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.