FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Lite
Thread: Platinum Lite
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:04 am
Starwood Lurker
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by beta1607
I'm a little new here, could someone please explain to me what a platinum lite is and how this differs from a full platinum member?
The term Platinum lite is a Flyertalk term invented by your peers to describe someone who used a Stays/Nights Count Double promotion to attain or maintain their Platinum status. I guess it also could have been used to describe anyone who may have been given any kind of pass on having to complete 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights, including those given status matches; however, as far as SPG is concerned, there is no distinction between these groups of Platinum members despite any false perception to the contrary.

Also, why is there so much fear about there being too many people with platinum status? I checked the FAQ but could not find anything. Thanks!
This probably is the result of some Platinums not being upgraded as often as others, but my personal study of the situation shows that the number of Platinum members has not fluctuated more than 1% in either direction regardless of the number of Stays/Nights Count Double, status matches, or other passes that may have been granted.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]