Platinum Lite

Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD
Platinum Lite

I'm a little new here, could someone please explain to me what a platinum lite is and how this differs from a full platinum member? Also, why is there so much fear about there being too many people with platinum status? I checked the FAQ but could not find anything. Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
There is no such thing as platinum lite.

It's this simple: You're platinum or not - Period!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:04 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by beta1607
I'm a little new here, could someone please explain to me what a platinum lite is and how this differs from a full platinum member?
The term Platinum lite is a Flyertalk term invented by your peers to describe someone who used a Stays/Nights Count Double promotion to attain or maintain their Platinum status. I guess it also could have been used to describe anyone who may have been given any kind of pass on having to complete 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights, including those given status matches; however, as far as SPG is concerned, there is no distinction between these groups of Platinum members despite any false perception to the contrary.

Also, why is there so much fear about there being too many people with platinum status? I checked the FAQ but could not find anything. Thanks!
This probably is the result of some Platinums not being upgraded as often as others, but my personal study of the situation shows that the number of Platinum members has not fluctuated more than 1% in either direction regardless of the number of Stays/Nights Count Double, status matches, or other passes that may have been granted.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thanks William.

Now we can put this FlyerTalk urban legend moniker to rest!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD
Thank you for the clarification!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
as far as SPG is concerned, there is no distinction between these groups of Platinum members
I thought the end-of-year gifts made a differentiation between people with 25 actual stays (or 50 actual nights) vs promo-assisted Platinums.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I thought the end-of-year gifts made a differentiation between people with 25 actual stays (or 50 actual nights) vs promo-assisted Platinums.
Not necessarily. There were some last year who said they were Platinum lites and got a year-end gift and I've seen plenty of Platinums who had more than 25 stays not get a year-end gift. I don't know how eligibility for that is determined...and frankly, I don't want to know.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There were some last year who said they were Platinum lites and got a year-end gift and I've seen plenty of Platinums who had more than 25 stays not get a year-end gift.
Thanks. I must have misread the posts from last year.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Thanks. I must have misread the posts from last year.
Maybe you were thinking of the Gold year-end gift from last year? You had to do it butt-in-bed to qualify for that. But, not so for the Platinum year-end gift.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Maybe you were thinking of the Gold year-end gift from last year? You had to do it butt-in-bed to qualify for that.
Well, now at least I know what a BIB GOLD is!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
.. however, as far as SPG is concerned, there is no distinction between these groups of Platinum members despite any false perception to the contrary.
So does this mean that your chance of an upgrade does not depend on the number of stays you had and that a Platinum with 15 stays has the same chances to be upgraded than a Platinum with 25 stays?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
So does this mean that your chance of an upgrade does not depend on the number of stays you had and that a Platinum with 15 stays has the same chances to be upgraded than a Platinum with 25 stays?
I would answer that by saying simply that the algorythm used to suggest to the hotel who gets upgraded first in case of a tie contains about 20 other elements to it, so it might be possible, especially since the property is given leeway in the final outcome.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Oct 21, 2009 at 3:40 pm
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
...and frankly, I don't want to know.
I DO!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I would answer that by saying simply that the algorythm used to suggest to the hotel who gets upgraded first in case of a tie contains about 20 other elements to it, so it might be possible, especially since the property is given leeway in the final outcome.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks William! I take this as a confirmation that chances of an upgrade are increasing when you have more stays. Yes, it is possible that it doesn't have an influence (when the hotel overrides the recommendation) but it will increase your chances of an upgrade if the algorithm is followed.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:30 pm

I would HOPE the best customers get the best rewards. That's certainly now I run my business.

The simple reality is some customers are, and should be, more valued than others, no matter how irritating that reality is to some on these threads.

Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.