FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:31 am
BoulderHyattHopper

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Snorkmaster...Don't remember if you are Diamond or not, so this will be skewed because always have been.

This is one of the nicest, easiest, crown jewels of the Hyatt system. They don't hassle you, they hire great people, those staff members stay for years. It is lovely! Great use of the last of FFN. We have definitely used a bunch here over the years.

First thing, assuming you are flying to MCO, take the SOUTH exit and get on the 417. If I recall you pay 2 $1 tolls, versus a number of 50 cents tolls on the beeline, but it is so worth it. Rarely do you see another car on this new highway. (Actually saw President Bush and Governor Jeb in the limo on it last December!) Just take it almost to the end. If you get to 4, that is fine, but avoid 4 at all cost. I believe you turn right at the 536 or 535.

Also, be sure to check out Celebration (the town). It is an amazing disney creation that costs nothing. Eat at the Italian restaurant and order the sorbet in the fruit peel. They remember our names and we only go there once or twice a year!

The Hyatt...it is SO amazing!

The RC is on the 11th floor. Chances are you will be on that floor. You may get put on the 17th or the penthouse. We have had one INCREDIBLE room (at Thanksgiving). You know when Steve says "dual-level" it is probably going to be good! There are some cool rooms to the north side (it juts out to 3 wings). We have had a north side room (1105?) that has two bathrooms...very cool!

RC is great. Tell Silvana, Shirley, Susie and Moon we say HI! They are great. They have A LOT of repeat business. There is a couple we have met from South Florida and a number of Germans and British that we have seen multiple times.

By going when kids are in school, it is very relaxed. There are times (last Easter...also coincided with a lot of spring breaks, how the calendar fell) that the RC was madness.

Breakfast is good fruit, cereal, yummy pastries (you have to try the croissants), bagels, etc.

Snacks during the day include big cookies (usually Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate Chip, and Peanut Butter), as well as fat free shortbread cookies. They also have lemonade and iced tea brewed. YUM.

Cocktail Hour goes from 5-8. At 8 you cannot order alcohol, so be sure to get a couple to go for last call.

Cocktail hour includes shrimp or crab legs or filet or pasta (ravioli, stuffed shells, etc.) or chicken. Always have vegetables and dip. Always have cheese and crackers.

Wine includes Veramonte Chardonnay or Cabernet, and also the Shannon Special -- Aria Bubbly! I think they have all sorts of hard stuff, but someone else is going to have to fill you in. My dad will have to fill you in on the Dad Special -- beer. I think he has had Heineken and maybe Amstel?

Dessert is from 8-10. It includes petit fours or chocolate covered strawberries. So good! Plus all sorts of liquors - grand marnier, kahlua, baileys, etc.

The pools are great, though usually VERY cold. The small pool with the very small slide right by the towel bar is the only heated pool. The slide is very fast and very fun. They have a volleyball net set up, but usually cold. All of the hot tubs are in little nooks.

Be sure to try out the pitch and putt. You actually "tee" off on the 40 - 90 yard golf course. Very fun and great way to improve the short game.

Be sure to take a long walk over to the equestrian center and talk to the horses and check out the tennis. Be sure to check out the golf course. They have some fun bikes which are free if you are on the RC floor. Very fun.

Downside...the hotel wants to build a new spa / health facility. It was one of the first hotels ever to offer gym equipment and it is very small...

That is about what I know...