FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nuremberg: Le Meridien or Arabella Sheraton [Master Thread]
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:30 am
BobBHX

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
I stayed at Le Meridien a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed. You get the feeling Starwood want it to be in The Luxury Collection but it is just not good enough.

The hotel is very old fashioned. They have tried (without success) to modernise the rooms - the light fittings, the TV box on the wall and the massive "artwork" behind the bed just look out of place. The walls of the corridors on the bedroom floors are rough concrete painted yellow - and this is supposed to be a luxury hotel! There is only one lift so you may have to wait a long time.

My room was tiny (I was supposed to be in a 25 sqm "Deluxe Dream Room", I hate to think how small the 20 sqm "Superior Rooms" are). There was no room to easily get between the desk and the bed when the chair was tucked in under the desk. The bathroom was positively antique. There was no safe in the room, nor could I find the ipod docking station that was supposed to be there. The "high speed" internet is a total rip-off at EUR18 for 24 hrs. The fastest I saw (using Speedtest) was 110k and at most times it was less than 20k.

Service in the restaurant at breakfast time was unacceptable. There were, I think, 4 staff serving but they just ignored people who wanted coffee. Eventually I managed to get the attention of the supervisor who was on duty and she got one of the staff to bring coffee but by that time I had almost finished my breakfast.

Positives - the rate I paid was excellent value. The staff at reception and in the bar were very good and helpful.

In response to my review on Tripadvisor the hotel general manager apologised for the breakfast problem and said it was unfortunate I didn't like the design of the rooms. He made no attempt to address the specific issues such as safe, ipod dock and internet.

Next time I'm in Nuernberg I will go to the Sheraton.