FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points deducted 1 year 8 months after my stay
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:45 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by davidhii
This is my situation: I do know that I paid for the room because I purchased the opening special rate. From the PC transaction history, I did claim 1 night of points. But PC charged me 2 nights points 1 year 8 months later.

When I complained, PC asked me to proof it by showing my 1 year 8 months old hotel bill. Certainly I don't keep hotel bills that long. I have to fall back to my credit card bills - which is a problem because I have cancelled a few cards since. As consumers are we legally subject to such treatment? I can understand if PC came back and claimed within 6 months, but this is 1 year 8 months later.
I am German qualified, so I cannot give a general answer.

However, as I said, I would consider such conduct to be consumer unfriendly and it would not motivate me to use this hotel again, however, in my jurisdictions the limitation period is three years.

And seriously: I keep every invoice with my adress on it. These are not that many (you are even obligated to keep certain invoices under German law) but certainly about 100 a year.