FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade on Korean Air redeemed with Delta SkyMiles
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:06 am
zhlobsky

Programs: AMEX Cenutrion, DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Plat., VS Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat.
I recently spent a fair amount of time researching KE J-class award availability (using DL SkyMiles at the 120,000-mile level) for a trip to BKK via ICN in January after the holiday season.

I needed two award seats, and we ended up routing through YYZ as well, though YVR also seemed relatively open if you were flexible with your dates. The availability seems to be particularly bad from the U.S.; virtually non-existent out of JFK, LAX or ORD. For some reason, we had less trouble booking the return trip to come back to a U.S. gateway, so we are returning via LAX (though YYZ was also available). If you're going on to SE Asia without a layover in ICN, be aware that the YYZ-ICN flight arrives at around 3:45 in the morning, while many KE connections to SE Asia do not depart until the evening, leaving you with 12 hours (or more) to kill, starting in the middle of the night. I know that in the past, KE was generous and provided free airport hotel accommodations for J-class transit passengers in situations like these, though I don't know if they still do so--and even if they do, whether this perk would apply to people using DL miles for their tickets.