Upgrade on Korean Air redeemed with Delta SkyMiles

Old Sep 16, 09, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Amex Rewards
Upgrade on Korean Air redeemed with Delta SkyMiles

I have coach seats from FLL to Hong Kong on Korean Air redeemed with Delta SkyMiles. Is there any way before the flight or at the airport (at ATL) to get business class seats on the flight from ATL to ICN? It's a 747.
Old Sep 16, 09, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by dpkmd View Post
I have coach seats from FLL to Hong Kong on Korean Air redeemed with Delta SkyMiles. Is there any way before the flight or at the airport (at ATL) to get business class seats on the flight from ATL to ICN? It's a 747.
Pay $100 to redeposit your miles and then use the amount of miles needed for the class of service you actually want to fly (if there is award inventory available).
Old Sep 16, 09, 5:49 am

Programs: New to United
I just constructed a complicated Asia itinerary all in business class using miles on NW/DL/KE and found that its extremely difficult to find two business class seats on any Korea Air flight from USA to Asia...I could find one seat OK but not two. I ended up routing thru YYZ (Toronto) to ICN because that was the only city that had two seats in business..
Old Sep 16, 09, 6:53 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
WinkDaddy: Were you able to get the KE award at 120,000 the SkyMiles level?

Which US cities had decent availability for one award in Business?

Finally, where in Asia is your final destination?
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:06 am

Programs: AMEX Cenutrion, DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Plat., VS Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat.
I recently spent a fair amount of time researching KE J-class award availability (using DL SkyMiles at the 120,000-mile level) for a trip to BKK via ICN in January after the holiday season.

I needed two award seats, and we ended up routing through YYZ as well, though YVR also seemed relatively open if you were flexible with your dates. The availability seems to be particularly bad from the U.S.; virtually non-existent out of JFK, LAX or ORD. For some reason, we had less trouble booking the return trip to come back to a U.S. gateway, so we are returning via LAX (though YYZ was also available). If you're going on to SE Asia without a layover in ICN, be aware that the YYZ-ICN flight arrives at around 3:45 in the morning, while many KE connections to SE Asia do not depart until the evening, leaving you with 12 hours (or more) to kill, starting in the middle of the night. I know that in the past, KE was generous and provided free airport hotel accommodations for J-class transit passengers in situations like these, though I don't know if they still do so--and even if they do, whether this perk would apply to people using DL miles for their tickets.
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
WinkDaddy: Were you able to get the KE award at 120,000 the SkyMiles level?

Which US cities had decent availability for one award in Business?

Finally, where in Asia is your final destination?
I found a couple KE awards from LAX for one person if I recall. There are NO awards in business for 2 people from JFK-ICN/NRT...for ANY date I checked on KE or NW....and I checked every date for 3 months.

Here is the itinerary I was able to construct for 120k per person...final destination is BKK

Wed Feb 24th: LAX-HNL (FIRST) DL

Thurs Feb 25th: HNL-NRT (business) on NW

Sat 27th: NRT-ICN-BKK (KE Business)

March 8th: BKK-ICN-YYZ (KE Business)

We live in NYC so we have to buy one way tickets from JFK to LAX the Tuesday night before we go to HNL...then must also spend the night in YYZ and take the early morning flight back to JFK. I am looking every day to see if BKK-ICN/NRT-JFK opens up on the way back...

I COULD have used a same price award ticket doing JFK-SLC-LAX-HNL on Feb 24 but thought that was too much and didnt land in HNL till neat 9:30pm...and we want to tour around HNL and the award flight gets us there around noon.

The ideal routings JFK-ICN/NRT-BKK were simply not available for any dates ....and I couldnt find EWR-HNL on CO for 2 people for any dates either...

Last edited by Winkdaddy; Sep 16, 09 at 8:23 am
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:27 am

Programs: AMEX Cenutrion, DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Plat., VS Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat.
I should also note that in a pinch, CZ is a viable alternative to KE if you want to fly to Asia for free using SkyMiles. They typically release a lot more free seats than KE or NW. Of course, CZ is not quite on the level of KE in terms of service, reliability, etc. but they are a full member of SkyTeam and generally deliver the goods properly. CAN, while certainly not ICN, is a nice, modern airport through which to connect.
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
Wed Feb 24th: LAX-HNL (FIRST) DL

Thurs Feb 25th: HNL-NRT (business) on NW

Sat 27th: NRT-ICN-BKK (KE Business)

March 8th: BKK-ICN-YYZ (KE Business)
That's quite the routing! I'm sure something will open up between now and then. I was just curious... any reason why you didn't include the YYZ-JFK segment on your return? All 3 flights are available on both Mar 8 & 9.
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77 View Post
That's quite the routing! I'm sure something will open up between now and then. I was just curious... any reason why you didn't include the YYZ-JFK segment on your return? All 3 flights are available on both Mar 8 & 9.
We didnt have the extra 12,500 miles each for YYZ-JFK
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Another option to Hong Kong and SE Asia is SQ from SFO, LAX, EWR and JFK, and perhaps IAH.
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by donlind View Post
Another option to Hong Kong and SE Asia is SQ from SFO, LAX, EWR and JFK, and perhaps IAH.
True, but they are even harder to find two business class awards on the same flight and I have heard many report that the taxes and fees can be $400-$600 per person for award tickets
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:32 am

We didnt have the extra 12,500 miles each for YYZ-JFK
That's odd, I was under the impression that it shouldn't cost anything extra. This appears to be nothing more than a simple US-ASIA award ticket with a stopover in 1 direction and an open jaw in the other direction (both used to be permissible at the "Low" levels).

LAX-DL-(x)HNL-NW-(o)NRT-KE-(x)ICN-KE-(o)BKK

BKK-KE-(x)ICN-KE-(x)YYZ-DL-(o)JFK

You can't originate from NYC because you can only have 3 connections for an international itinerary (so I'm unsure why you were told JFK-SLC-LAX-HNL would work). Overall I'm just confused... I'm sure because they've changed the rules 17 times and I just haven't kept up. UGH! However, ignoring your outbound routing, I see no reason why adding the YYZ-JFK segment should mean an additional 12,500 miles.
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77 View Post
That's odd, I was under the impression that it shouldn't cost anything extra. This appears to be nothing more than a simple US-ASIA award ticket with a stopover in 1 direction and an open jaw in the other direction (both used to be permissible at the "Low" levels).

LAX-DL-(x)HNL-NW-(o)NRT-KE-(x)ICN-KE-(o)BKK

BKK-KE-(x)ICN-KE-(x)YYZ-DL-(o)JFK

You can't originate from NYC because you can only have 3 connections for an international itinerary (so I'm unsure why you were told JFK-SLC-LAX-HNL would work). Overall I'm just confused... I'm sure because they've changed the rules 17 times and I just haven't kept up. UGH! However, ignoring your outbound routing, I see no reason why adding the YYZ-JFK segment should mean an additional 12,500 miles.
Trust me, I was very confused when booking this trip! I do not know all the rules and restrictions...only what the NWA website told me...and the JFK-SLC_LAX-HNL was valid for 37,500 miles. I created it using the multi city function. I tested it this morning again and since ICN-YYZ lands you at 8:45pm, there are no night flights to JFK...you must leave the next day on a CRJ100 for 12,500 miles each.

I tried and tried to originally do JFK to ether ICN or NRT then to BKK all in business but no such luck. Someone on the NWA board said a good trick is to route thru HNL to Asia so I used that to help create the trip..
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dpkmd View Post
Sorry to derail your thread dpkmd, but the only way you'll be up front (or I suppose, upstairs in this case) is if you a) do as others suggest and reissue your ticket as a business class ticket or b) score an op-up (no way to predict).

Sorry!
Old Sep 16, 09, 10:42 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
True, but they are even harder to find two business class awards on the same flight and I have heard many report that the taxes and fees can be $400-$600 per person for award tickets
Yes, the fuel surcharges run in that range. Sucks that DL now passes those along to redemption-ticket buyers.

The real problem, though, is no availability on SQ's new aircraft. For now, that leaves ex-USA pax with only SQ 11/12 LAX-NRT-SIN-vv. and SQ 25/26 JFK-FRA-SIN-vv. Once you get to SIN, you can connect to elsewhere in Asia, but then you run into the problem of availability in premium classes on intra-Asia routes being difficult to find. And SQ 11/12 forces overnights in SIN both ways.

Search this Thread