FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL Diamond still best in class??
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:11 pm
WBurcham

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It may even be sufficient if DL were to just adopt the NW Elite ExtraPerks program from years past.
What was the difference in ExtraPerks versus DL's 125K?

it was 2 SWU's, right? This compares to SkyClub access + 6 PMU's on DL or 25K miles or Gold Medalion, or some other TBD gifts.

Am I missing something?

By the way, I understand the PMU is broken and agree.

Originally Posted by avidflyer
This is what I have been saying all along: DL had a chance to lock in many of the high mileage fliers with the DM program (myself included). WBurcham is correct that it WOULD be at a cost to DL but the result would be a program that had people flying well past 125 (and stretching to get there) if there were a real benefit in the form of an UG instrument that allowed fliers to go J CHEAP after they got to the magic 125K mark. The problem now is that (IMO) there will be a lot of exactly what Mike is saying..avoiding DM and rolling the miles forward. The reason so many on this board have come out and said they are going to "hold short of runway 125" is BECAUSE the perceived value is not there. Add the value and I think DL has a MAJOR home-run.. At NW we saw an amazing shift in just 2 years of folks who would lock Plat at NW and then go get status elsewhere actually focusing everything at NW trying to get to 120/160/200k for the 6 SWU's that enabled them to take their SO to Asia in WBC for $1600.00-$1800.00 (3 times if you got to 200). That is worth focusing $$ you would have spent getting free bags at UA.
Missed this post before but good point. As a mostly leisure medallion, I'm making this status on my own $$. I probably would have considered jumping ship to AA if I could have had my status matched there to EXP...I don't like Y. However they don't do that so I stay with DL and use my PMU's domestically to lock upgrades in on tough (longer) routes. If the PMU were better, I would spend more money with Delta. Period

Last edited by WBurcham; Sep 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm Reason: consolidated