FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possibility of Oversold
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:10 pm
alextktan

Originally Posted by fti
It is not always a matter of luck. I check the load factor online and/or call the airline the day before to ask if the flight is oversold (they will tell you yes or no, and are not required but often tell you by how many). If there is even the slightest chance of a bump, I am at the gate before the gate agent arrives (if possible - with connecting flights that is not always possible). I kindly ask about the possibility and mention that I am willing to volunteer and ask what the compensation would be.

So "luck" plays a part. But my numerous bumps over the past couple of years were more due to my advance knowledge and preparation than "luck" (one purely lucky bump was sitting on the plane in F in EWR when there was a seat snafu and two people were assigned to the same seat with a totally full airplane, both front and back. I had previously volunteered for a bump and was told they had all they needed, but when the GA came on board and realized the situation, he asked me if I still wanted to be bumped - that was classic!).

John
Thanks for all your replies. How do you check the load factor online? Any URL? Thanks.

alextktan