Possibility of Oversold

Old Sep 3, 09, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Possibility of Oversold

Hi guys,

I have an award travel (RDU-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-RDU) coming up in mid September. I was just wondering during this time of the year how oversold these segments are. I was thinking about giving up my seats for possible compensation and bumping up. All opinions are appreciated. THANKS!

alextktan
Old Sep 3, 09, 12:58 pm

Ah, one of my favorite topics

Check out www.seatcounter.com

You never know if you'll get the voluntary bump, too many variables factoring into it. Just like my last voluntary bump, it was oversold by one, I just so happened to be the lucky one.

GL!
Old Sep 3, 09, 1:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Compfreak View Post
Just like my last voluntary bump, it was oversold by one, I just so happened to be the lucky one.

GL!
It is not always a matter of luck. I check the load factor online and/or call the airline the day before to ask if the flight is oversold (they will tell you yes or no, and are not required but often tell you by how many). If there is even the slightest chance of a bump, I am at the gate before the gate agent arrives (if possible - with connecting flights that is not always possible). I kindly ask about the possibility and mention that I am willing to volunteer and ask what the compensation would be.

So "luck" plays a part. But my numerous bumps over the past couple of years were more due to my advance knowledge and preparation than "luck" (one purely lucky bump was sitting on the plane in F in EWR when there was a seat snafu and two people were assigned to the same seat with a totally full airplane, both front and back. I had previously volunteered for a bump and was told they had all they needed, but when the GA came on board and realized the situation, he asked me if I still wanted to be bumped - that was classic!).

John
Old Sep 3, 09, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Luck + preparation on your part (checking class avail, asking # of oversolds, having your itinerary in hand, and being first to volunteer).

It was nice at MSP when you could volunteer with the TA's before the GA's got there. NWA had some feature where they could create the volunteer list before security.
Old Sep 3, 09, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti View Post
It is not always a matter of luck. I check the load factor online and/or call the airline the day before to ask if the flight is oversold (they will tell you yes or no, and are not required but often tell you by how many). If there is even the slightest chance of a bump, I am at the gate before the gate agent arrives (if possible - with connecting flights that is not always possible). I kindly ask about the possibility and mention that I am willing to volunteer and ask what the compensation would be.

So "luck" plays a part. But my numerous bumps over the past couple of years were more due to my advance knowledge and preparation than "luck" (one purely lucky bump was sitting on the plane in F in EWR when there was a seat snafu and two people were assigned to the same seat with a totally full airplane, both front and back. I had previously volunteered for a bump and was told they had all they needed, but when the GA came on board and realized the situation, he asked me if I still wanted to be bumped - that was classic!).

John
Thanks for all your replies. How do you check the load factor online? Any URL? Thanks.

alextktan
Old Sep 3, 09, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
seatcounter.com or http://publicbackup.com/shared/flyertalk/availability/
Old Sep 3, 09, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL GM
Also, when you check in for your flight on nwa.com, there is a bidding process.

Your flight may be oversold, we are looking for passengers with alterable travel plans. How much are you willing to accept as compensation (up to $300)?

I think this still exists. It usually only shows up when everything is 0ed out on seatcounter...
Old Sep 3, 09, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTPP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfwolfs View Post
Your flight may be oversold, we are looking for passengers with alterable travel plans. How much are you willing to accept as compensation (up to $300)?
This does still exist, at least at kiosk check-in because i had it come up for me today DTW-SEA. I offered $300 and then went to the gate to ask... Redcoat said volunteers weren't needed, but then came on the loudspeaker asking for a few. I was first in line

Unfortunately, the deadheading pilot that was supposed to take my seat so generously rode in the cockpit jumpseat and screwed my bump. He was trying to give his (my) seat to an attractive standby passenger who was #1 on the list. Oh well.

Search this Thread