FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - S. Africa/World Cup 2010 Q's
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:19 pm
wijibintheair

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am subcontracting/helping out with one of the officially appointed tour operators in the US for 2010 and its a bit of a nightmare. As you know, we will only find out 4th December where each team plays and then it will be a bun-fight. There is also a huge shortage of accommodation in the main cities - Johannesburg worst hit.
As for the air-fares well I have been tracking as seats come in range - I checked SAA on a Y class return I think 10 - 18 June just as an example and got $9,000 in coach! To make matters worse our stock of guaranteed "lowest" fare tickets with SA have to be issued by 30 July or they then just to GDS prices and of course people don't know yet where they are going to be watching the games etc so it is all fun and games.
I think there is a chance that on the day you will find rooms, but who knows, you may end up on the pavements - right now it is a guessing game. Even for us where we have allocated room inventory around the country we won't know until 4th December where we will be over supplied and where we will be under supplied - all depends on where Team USA ends up playing!