FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:30 pm
Synthetic

Originally Posted by falconea
In Australia there's no real concept of American food. Except McDonalds and their ilk.

Audrey
Originally Posted by jackal
I remember an Outback Steakhouse across from our motel in Campbelltown. Surely that qualifies as American food!
Originally Posted by Omnivore
I think Steak Places would qualify in Australia, Lone Star certainly bills itself as an American Steak House. Apart from that it'd be franchises that originated in the USA, and Hungry Jacks which is the Australian version of BK (legal stuff forced the name change)
Originally Posted by bensyd
What would be called Tex-Mex in America is called Mexican in Australia and would usually not be associated with America.

I think there's a Hooters in Parramatta although I don't usually venture that far west.
What you're all missing here is the answer to the actual question. Yes, we have these foods and yes they are American (or considered American) but if we're sitting at home thinking about eating at one of these places, we don't go "Lets go get some American"

If we were to go out and get some Indian, Chinese or etc - we'd most likely say "lets go get some Chinese" because the restaurant isn't exactly a big chain - like McDonalds or similar.
That, and you can't go to a restaurant here that is classed as American. McDonalds isn't billed as "McDonalds, American cuisine"
A Thai place would be "Onni's, Thai Cuisine" - so the naming convention doesn't work the same.