FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:44 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Greetings All
Thought I would chime in with my own experiences staying at Sheraton JFK property
I have never had a satisfactory stay at this property yet out of three stays and the third stay never happened at all as I was walked to another hotel upon check in.(see thread)
Both elevators have never worked at the same time on either stay
That is compounded by housekeepprs and their carts all trying to use the guest elevators as apparently there are no alternatives for team members to utilize
Then add to that those guests who are late for their flights or appointments at the same time as housekeepers are trying to move with carts between floors and one can be waiting for up to 15 or 20 minutes for an elevator.

My impression of this property is that it is a typical 4 Points Hotel with cheap poorly insulated walls to save money while in construction.
The only way to make it through the night if one is a light sleeper is to run a/c or heat and or other white noise to block out some of the exterior outside sounds.
The owners were able to upgrade the décor and add sweet sleeper beds to get the Sheraton brand over the 4 points brand which is all the property branding really deserves at best

Starwood was probably pretty desperate to get some presence at JFK and the owners happy to get the Sheraton brand so they can ask for 330 plus tax a night and hope some fool will pay it. Now if that sounds a little harsh lets look at the somewhat upside
The hotel is new though very small rooms and public area. It is great to have any Starwood presence at JFK after losing the last Sheraton at JFK (a former nursing home)
The help seems lost and not empowered to take care of guests.
There are a few exceptions however and to be fair I have met a few very nice team members who privately do show heartfelt concern for the problems that guests have been experiencing at the property.

I too was charged for the complimentary cont Plat breakfast and got the hotel to credit back the charge
So I suppose they charge the room and hope the guest will forget especially on the weekends when the club lounge is closed and there is more reason to normally charge for breakfast
All that said I like the property somewhat if they could keep it operating properly and take care of business.

Put this hotel at any major airport besides JFK and it would be hard pressed to get over 150 a night
Because of the overpricing I sometimes take a cab into New York and stay at a solid 3 to 5 star property for less then a night at the Sheraton JFK
Cash and Points remains the only value here because of the absurd pricing structure

I will continue to use the property and gamble on some stays where I just want to get to the nearest clean property and on that note it gets at least a reasonably satisfactory rating there