FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?
Old Jun 8, 2002, 11:26 am
LarryU

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777 global mile hound:

Certain properties really do excel. Making yourself known and being a regular along with your elite status really helps as it would in any quality property with the proper management team onboard.
</font>
Meaningful recognition of regular customers is one of the most important components of customer satisfaction, IMHO. Properties that have figured this out will continue to earn additional business, whereas others that fail to do so will not. This concept is especially important in uncertain economic times.

In my pre-HiltonHhonors days, I stayed at the Embassy Suites Parsippany for numerous nights over a span of many years. Once Embassy Suites was assimilated into HiltonHhonors and I achieved Diamond status, I tended to stay in properties with accessible club lounges instead. After a fairly long hiatus, I just enjoyed a stay at the ES a few days ago. Everyone knew me there and rewarded my return with the Presidential Suite. It was sufficiently large that I briefly contemplated subletting some of the extra beds and space.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Diamond lacks punch and overall consistency for the stay requirements involved. The program is missing a well thought out and creative ammenity program.
</font>
This may be in the process of changing, at least at some properties. When I checked into my room at the Parsippany Hilton last Sunday, I was surprised to discover a little gift basket containing an assortment of dried fruit, nuts and candies. According to the Denise the friendly concierge who staffs the club lounge in the evening, this hotel now rewards certain guests with a choice from one of several gifts.

I am in the process of determining whether the amenity is offered to diamond members in general or is available to guests who have stayed there frequently. The sticker affixed to the gift basket said "Hilton" rather than "Parsippany Hilton" but I am not sure whether or not this new amenity program has been conceived by this specific property or is intended for broader dissemination.