FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?
Old Jun 7, 2002, 10:27 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Greetings Doc and all ,
When will I ever have as many posts as you!I'm jealous (grin)Probably not even if I make it till 90

Review of Hilton Diamond and properties
What Hilton still lacks in Trendy/Contemporary properties
(picking up as in Auckland) they make up
in traditional dependability and a solid value in many markets.
Free breakfasts,lounge access where available and complimentary 800 calls.
Hilton knows its customers want great value and they deliver more often then not.
In my opinion they have the best mid tier level(gold) in the business.
Upgrades vary widely and lack consistency of any program I have ever been in.
This will of course vary member to member depending on the properties one chooses in given markets.
Gold or Diamond.
Some properties being downright insulting.Rare but it has happened
Reading about the cooperating properties here on Flyer Talk really helps in thinning out the losers in guest satisfaction.
My graditude to all of you that help me get outstanding satisfaction in many markets
from your trip reports.
Certain properties really do excel. Making yourself known and being a regular along with your elite status really helps as it would in any quality property with the proper management team onboard.
Diamond lacks punch and overall consistency for the stay requirements involved. The program
is missing a well thought out and creative ammenity program.
Only the Conrads and some Int properties seem to have some form of established welcome ammenity.Hotels that do not participate in program benefits like lounge access or free breakfast should clarify their posistion in a yearly published list,at the website and on the reservation line to avoid member dissatisfaction.
This is rare for myself but I have heard of more then a few cases regarding failure to deliver benefits in key markets.New York and Paris to name a few
The pluses with Diamond include a vastly improved group of customer service professionals at the Diamond Desk amongst the best in the industry.Some are long timers with Hilton and they really have their acts nailed down.Yet a few weak players can also be found on the Diamond desk as well.
Never have I seen so many answers to the same question in my lifetime from the regular HH line.
Usually this problem will happen for myself when The Diamond Desk is closed.
Diamond award availability is amongst the finast and best reason to reach Diamond.Even surpassing Starwood in many respects.
The program flexability and reward options remains legendary and goes under utilized by many a member.It is a real gem
in a world of program wanna bes proclaiming something so called special every other day of the week.
The improvement since May of 2000 is inspiring.
However Hilton still has some past sins to erase.First up household accounts
They should take a clue from Starwood and British Airways whom have first class rulesflexability and requirements.The HH program still has some highly discriminatory practices.That must change.As it is unacceptable.
Hilton is destined for a great future and it has some
mighty fine leadership at its helm.
Its vast collection of hotels are exceptional
with a wide choice to choose from.
Hilton properties very offen have excellent weekend rates and even very fair weekday rates in many markets.Unlike a lot of the competition who gouges to no end.
Double Tree and Embassy need to meet higher standards in each and every market.From rennovations to a much better understanding of the program in house with special improved ammenity floors for elite members.
All in all Hilton gets my vote for the most improved camper award.They also are to be commended for their first class communication and response after 9-11 to its members
Hope this personal view point has been helpful .
Please fire away with any questions

------------------
AA & Starwood Platinum
Diamond Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
U/A 1 K
Marriott Platinum,Swissotel Club Gold
Radisson Elite

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 06-07-2002).]