FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel tips for a "virgin" (Euros vs Visa, and more)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:43 pm
drachenstern

Thanks for the tips so far. I figured about as much on 3) and have the same philosophy so far as gj83.

As for 1). One of my other friends (from Eastern Europe) says I should consider taking about 100-200 Euros with me, and he said the same on the get more there if I need it from a bank. Guess it's time to call the bank and ask them, huh? As for the prevalence of Visa, yeah, here in Houston it's WAY prevalent, I rarely use cash anymore.

If(when) I do take Euros, I'm still staying in a university, so I don't know that the cash would be any safer "in the room" than on me, what is the experience with that? My dad had a sort of belt he would wear when we traveled that was inside the clothing, with a little pouch to keep small cash and documents in, so it was more protected than just in a back pocket. Should I worry about that?

I'm supposed to have a meal-plan at the Uni (waiting till next week for the "briefing"), but for two weeks in Nice, what would a seasoned traveler expect I should probably need while I'm there? I might take a taxi a few times (no more than 4 I should think) and I may eat out three or four times while I'm there (think simple fare, not 5-star), but bars and pubs aren't really my thing, so I'm not as concerned about having cash for that sort of thing. Really it's more a matter of I don't know what to expect on local costs for things. (I'm so "American", one of these days I'm gonna be a little more knowledgeable.)

And another rather important question I was thinking of in the interim of the first post and now: Travel. Should I wear slacks and a nice shirt for travel, or is it considered acceptable to wear gym shorts and a tee? I would prefer the lighter clothing, especially as I'll be traveling for 14+ hours each way, and would rather not sweat to the point of discomfort for those around me (yeah, it's not normally a problem, but we're talking airtravel).

Thanks again for holding my hand you guys (and gals)!!!