Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel tips for a "virgin" (Euros vs Visa, and more)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Had some questions about flights, and those were handled very nicely in the Miles&More section, so now on to the actual travel tips/questions:

Someone else (academic trip) is paying for me to go IAH-FRA-NCE and in Nice for two weeks before returning. Travel will be during July 4-18, 09, and this is the first time I've been overseas. So while I'm somewhat familiar with the FAA restrictions, and I've checked in regards to my LH flight, now I'm curious about the actual travel. So, if I may toss a list of questions?

1) Better to grab some Euros now from a local bank/similar, or is it better to take a low capacity Visa card with me for the trip (obviously I'll take my regular cards, but I'm thinking to use one specific card for nearly all my transactions, since Visa claims to be so widely available). Or are American $$ just welcomed? I would suppose that the French would probably prefer to see Euros over $$, so that's why I'm struggling between the first two.

2) What should I expect at the airports in terms of my status as an un-worldly traveller, and inexperienced with all languages (who can say they really know English? . All the foreign nationals (students, professionals), I've ever met have always said that a) English should be fine, most people that I'm liable to come in contact with will speak some English, and b) I know I'm ignorant. While I wish I did know three or four or eight languages, I know I don't. Are there some phrases I should learn?

3) "Don't drink the water." Good rule of thumb, or overblown in this day and age?

4) Cell phones. This one is a stickler for me, but traveling overseas isn't something I plan on doing often. The reason for the pain is that I am a computer guy (I do IT, but I love tech too), so I'm on the AT&T "unlimited" data plan, with the text features and all the other goodies. I probably use way more data in a month than I realize, but I know that, so I do the unlimited. But when I called them, they said my options for traveling are to pay $1.39/min roaming, or pay them $6/mo and $0.99/min roaming, without data, and I could do $60?/mo for 50MB data international roaming. My current resignation is to just leave the phone at home, but I'm rather concerned if I have an absolute need of a phone and I don't take one with me, I'm rather SOL. Plus, I would need my cell when I get back to the airport stateside, so I will likely as not just pull the battery and pack it in my checked baggage. So, any thoughts or suggestions? Would I do better to ensure the phone is unlocked and purchase a ?? France-Telecom ?? (One I found while surfing, but it's not my country, so I don't know the locale-quirks) SIM for the phone, then just turn off my data apps? Figure if anyone's gonna know, it's gonna be the travel gurus on FlyerTalk, ya know?

I'm sure I have loads more, but those are the most pressing at the moment. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:27 pm

1. best rate is usually to use your US ATM card over in France to withdraw Euros. Exchanging cash is usually more expensive. If you do a prepaid card, get one there so it will have a chip.

3. You're going to France, not Mexico! I drink the water everywhere unless I'm specifically told not to. I've had tap water in the UK, Paris, Ireland, Germany, Costa Rica and I'm still fine. If the locals drink it, I drink it. If the locals don't drink it, I don't either.

4. I'm a heavy data user too and it was easier for me to remove my SIM and use Wifi only. For a short trip this was the best option for me. If you plan on going frequently there may be other solutions. I think data is more expensive in many countries.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Almost nowhere in France will take USD (not seen as a stable currency ). Credit cards are accepted less than in the US so a combination of cash Euros and Visa/Mastercard would be best. You should also be able to use your ATM card to withdraw money, but check with your bank first.

2. English will be fine at FRA, and you shouldn't have many problems at NCE either. Signage will be bi-lingual and most staff should be able to manage rudimentary conversations. That said I always think it is nice to manage a few simple phrases in the local language, even just yes, no, thank you, beer please.

3. You can drink the water (France is a first world nation after all) but it might not taste that great. Bottled water isn't especially expensive.

4. Dunno on that one. Company pays my phone bill.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far. I figured about as much on 3) and have the same philosophy so far as gj83.

As for 1). One of my other friends (from Eastern Europe) says I should consider taking about 100-200 Euros with me, and he said the same on the get more there if I need it from a bank. Guess it's time to call the bank and ask them, huh? As for the prevalence of Visa, yeah, here in Houston it's WAY prevalent, I rarely use cash anymore.

If(when) I do take Euros, I'm still staying in a university, so I don't know that the cash would be any safer "in the room" than on me, what is the experience with that? My dad had a sort of belt he would wear when we traveled that was inside the clothing, with a little pouch to keep small cash and documents in, so it was more protected than just in a back pocket. Should I worry about that?

I'm supposed to have a meal-plan at the Uni (waiting till next week for the "briefing"), but for two weeks in Nice, what would a seasoned traveler expect I should probably need while I'm there? I might take a taxi a few times (no more than 4 I should think) and I may eat out three or four times while I'm there (think simple fare, not 5-star), but bars and pubs aren't really my thing, so I'm not as concerned about having cash for that sort of thing. Really it's more a matter of I don't know what to expect on local costs for things. (I'm so "American", one of these days I'm gonna be a little more knowledgeable.)

And another rather important question I was thinking of in the interim of the first post and now: Travel. Should I wear slacks and a nice shirt for travel, or is it considered acceptable to wear gym shorts and a tee? I would prefer the lighter clothing, especially as I'll be traveling for 14+ hours each way, and would rather not sweat to the point of discomfort for those around me (yeah, it's not normally a problem, but we're talking airtravel).

Thanks again for holding my hand you guys (and gals)!!!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
1 As Swanhunter says, please don't expect to use USD. It is likely to be refused almost everywhere and will probably cause offence in the asking. Mastercard and/or Visa will be more useful than Amex or other US cards. Credit cards are still not universally accepted and some small cafes or shops might only take cash. Please check before purchasing (or filling a car with petrol!).

2 In Germany, English is widely spoken and will probably not cause offence. If you speak any German, people are likely to be pleasantly surprised. It used to be the case that in France, people would refuse to speak English or to understand French when spoken by an English speaker. This has now largely changed. You are likely to find that if you try to speak French, the reply will be in English. But it is still worth trying to open with French, even if you run out of language after the opening exchange. Most of all - and I don't mean to be offensive - you will find that people in Europe tend to speak more quietly than people in the USA. If you are loud you may alienate people before they have even met you.

3 Tap water in mainland Europe is better than it used to be and is probably drinkable. But bear in mid that Egyptian tapwater is also safe to drink for Egyptians but would make you ever so ill because you aren't used to it. f you have doubts and if you have an unsteady tummy, you might be better drinking bottled water just to be safe.

4 Most people I know who travel abroad have unlocked phones and use locally purchased pay as you go SIM cards.

5 Enjoy your travel. Please don't try to hide your foreignness; you will meet lots of nice people. Just, occasionally, realize that you'll get a better reception if you act comme les indigens.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by drachenstern
As for 1). One of my other friends (from Eastern Europe) says I should consider taking about 100-200 Euros with me, and he said the same on the get more there if I need it from a bank. Guess it's time to call the bank and ask them, huh? As for the prevalence of Visa, yeah, here in Houston it's WAY prevalent, I rarely use cash anymore.
It's always nice to land with enough money for a taxi, train or a bottle of water. Not always possible as some countries don't let their money out, but it's nice when you can do it. You will use cash more than you're used to.

If(when) I do take Euros, I'm still staying in a university, so I don't know that the cash would be any safer "in the room" than on me, what is the experience with that? My dad had a sort of belt he would wear when we traveled that was inside the clothing, with a little pouch to keep small cash and documents in, so it was more protected than just in a back pocket. Should I worry about that?
There's no more reason to worry about pickpockets in France than in, say, New York. It can happen so don't keep too much in any one pocket. Use hotel safes if you have a lot of cash, but in your case, I'd get money out of the ATMs - no more than you could afford to lose.

I'm supposed to have a meal-plan at the Uni (waiting till next week for the "briefing"), but for two weeks in Nice, what would a seasoned traveler expect I should probably need while I'm there? I might take a taxi a few times (no more than 4 I should think) and I may eat out three or four times while I'm there (think simple fare, not 5-star), but bars and pubs aren't really my thing, so I'm not as concerned about having cash for that sort of thing. Really it's more a matter of I don't know what to expect on local costs for things. (I'm so "American", one of these days I'm gonna be a little more knowledgeable.)
Take the costs as you find them. Have your money in a back account and take money from the ATM as you need it. In the south of France, some places will be exorbitant and aimed at the tourists; some will be affordable and aimed at the locals. The Nicoises have to live too!

And another rather important question I was thinking of in the interim of the first post and now: Travel. Should I wear slacks and a nice shirt for travel, or is it considered acceptable to wear gym shorts and a tee? I would prefer the lighter clothing, especially as I'll be traveling for 14+ hours each way, and would rather not sweat to the point of discomfort for those around me (yeah, it's not normally a problem, but we're talking airtravel).
This is not an important question. Wear whatever you like when you travel. Best to have something that covers flesh in your suitcase in case you need to go to a more formal event, but in the plane there is no dress code, despite what some of your compatriots would have us believe.

Thanks again for holding my hand you guys (and gals)!!!
Have fun - and please don't tip when you don't absolutely have to.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Step 1: You need a guidebook. The Rick Steves guidebooks are good for European travel "virgins" like you, because Steves assumes that you are an inexperienced traveler.

Experienced Flyer Talkers may dislike him, but he knows his target audience (people who have never been to Europe or much of any place else before) and provides the kind of step-by-step advice they need. He also has a preferential option for budget travelers, so you will find ways to save money, too.

When I'm traveling, I like to get maybe $50 worth of walking around money before I leave and use my ATM card for the rest. On a recent trip to the UK, I had to leave from Paddington Station within an hour after an early morning arrival from LHR on the Heathrow Express, and I was too bleary-eyed to find an ATM, but I had my $50 worth of pounds and was able to buy coffee and pastry to keep me going until lunchtime. When I arrived at my destination city, I didn't have to find an ATM in order to pay the cabdriver who took me to my hotel.

However, I make sure that 1) My card can be used in the country where I'm going, 2) my bank knows that I'm going, in case they otherwise put automatic blocks on transactions outside the cardholder's normal spending patterns.

Learn how to say "Do you speak English?" and "Where's the toilet?" in the language of every country you visit. (You may not find an English speaking person around when you need the latter.)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr H
There's no more reason to worry about pickpockets in France than in, say, New York. It can happen so don't keep too much in any one pocket. Use hotel safes if you have a lot of cash, but in your case, I'd get money out of the ATMs - no more than you could afford to lose.

This is not an important question. Wear whatever you like when you travel. Best to have something that covers flesh in your suitcase in case you need to go to a more formal event, but in the plane there is no dress code, despite what some of your compatriots would have us believe.

Have fun - and please don't tip when you don't absolutely have to.
As for the money-concerns, everywhere I look about Nice people are talking about an inlet of grifters and birds-of-prey-like-references, so I am a little paranoid.

As for "formal" clothing, I am waiting to see what they say next week, but I was more curious about airline attire, which you've answered. Many thanks.

As for the tipping, yeah, but it's habit for us, so I'll try
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ksandness
However, I make sure that 1) My card can be used in the country where I'm going, 2) my bank knows that I'm going, in case they otherwise put automatic blocks on transactions outside the cardholder's normal spending patterns.
Good advice. I tend to hit at ATM at my arrival airport and have never had a problem there.

I'd certainly have some backup plan in case the ATM card or credit card doesn't work. I've had this happen to me (ATM card woudn't work in Lund, Sweden and in York, England--possibly network problems), and you need to have a backup plan. Two years ago in Montreal I had to try 4-5 different ATMs until I found one that would work with my card, even though they all dsplayed a PLUS logo. That could involve bringing some $US and exchanging them if you get stuck somewhere (I tend to bring $100-200 along), or having more than one credit card in case the first one gets demagnetized, declined, or just doesn't work.

I haven't done travelers checks in 10 years or more, but if you don't have a backup ATM or credit card it might be a good idea to bring some of those along in $US, and just deposit them into your bank account when you get home if you don't need them. 3A, for instance, offers these at no cost, and depending what kind of banking relationship you have they may also offer them at no cost.

One thing to consider: fees. I left my last bank when they started charging $1.25 plus 2% for a foreign ATM transaction. My current bank does not charge anything. Do you know what your bank will charge for foreign ATM transactions?

On credit cards: they are not all created equal. Some charge up to 3% for foreign transactions. Do you know what yours charges? If they charge 3% and you can get cash with less fees at ATMs, you might want to do more with cash (I tend to do this now for day to day expenses--meals, museums, and the like). I put my hotels on an AMEX that charges a 2.7% foreign exchange fee, but rebates 2% for hotels.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
3. You can drink the water (France is a first world nation after all) but it might not taste that great. Bottled water isn't especially expensive.
France a first world country??? That's rich... You're killing me...
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:18 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by drachenstern
As for "formal" clothing, I am waiting to see what they say next week, but I was more curious about airline attire, which you've answered. Many thanks.
For air travel, wear clothing that can be layered for various temperature conditions (keep any extra layers in your carryon bag). The temperature inside the airplane may not be what you expect, and the temperature at your destination may be different as well. For example, if you are wearing the gym shorts and T-shirt you mentioned earlier, bring a jacket and trousers or track pants in your carryon in case the airplane or your destination is colder than you expect.

It may also be a good idea to wear clothing with secure pockets to put your passport and such in, so that you don't accidentally leave such things on the plane.

Regarding water, if you do not trust the tap water enough to drink it, then do not brush your teeth with it. Though it is unlikely that western Europe would be a problem in this respect.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:23 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For added discussion, please follow in our Travel->Europe forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Only want to add that if you bring the phone - do not put it or anything else valuable in your checked luggage. Carry it with you always.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, still learning where everything is
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: nobody
1.) I always bring enough Euros to cover roundtrip local transport between airport and hotel and extra for couple meals. US$ is basically useless in Europe so just bring little for emergency use only. Most places do accept VISA, but most vending/ticket machines do not accept VISA card without smartchip (pretty much covers all US issued VISA card).

2.) Not sure what the status you have with *A. If none, you can always check the various lounge thread in LH and UA forum to see if fellow FTer can guest you in.

3.) There is much better stuff to drink in France than water .

4.) Take the phone with you as long as your phone has GSM900/1800 band, you never know when you need it. I take it with me all over the world because mine has built-in GPS unit. Just don't turn on the data function unless you have to and you should be fine. One sure way to rack up your wirless bill is to tether your laptop or watching your slingbox at home.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mobilebucky; Jun 4, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.