FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Rome, Italy
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2009, 1:36 pm
UNIVBFan

Programs: MR Plat, BW Rewards Plat, CP Gold, HH Silver, Delta Skymiles
Never assume

Just stayed at the Rome Central Park Hotel and, while it was a convenient walk to the train station, and was upgraded on an award stay to a junior suite, we did have problems, but I'll get to that in a second.

The hotel is indeed switching to be branded a Courtyard Inn. It is not considered a FS Marriott, and does not have any type of lounge. I was on an award stay and was not given breakfast free.

The troubles came one night when we tried to order room service.

It had been a long day of walking and we just wanted to eat in. Asked front desk staff about room service menu, they said it's in the room. Get to the room, no menu, so I call the front desk. They say they'll bring one up in 5 minutes. Okay....20 minutes later I go down to the lobby and inquire again, they say they're at the Bar, I go to the bar, no menus, and no one to assist me.....Go to the restaurant, they tell me I have to go to the bar also....Stop at the front desk. Wait while the staff person continues to flip through papers, then she flags down the bartender. He says he'll get one, then proceeds to go make a drink for someone and bring it to the restaurant. I'm getting really irritated at this point. He comes back and has the rest. copy of the menu and says he can't let me take it, but if I give him my order, he can put it in. I tell him my wife is in the room and wants food too, he continues to insist he can't take it, to which I reply, "So you're telling me I need to go get my wife and make her come down here to order room service?" He finally relents and gives me the copy. When I order and bring it back, I stop at the desk to find out if the manager will be in in the morning, with the desk clerk asking me why. I finally talk to him, and the restaurant manager in the morning, and they offer me the "very generous" 20% reduction in the bill. We were checking out and I was too tired to fight, but was expecting something more like at least half off. In the final wind up, they blame the switch over to a Courtyard for the shortage of printed menus.

Very frustrating in that everyone but me was getting helped during this ordeal and I have a feeling it had something to do with me being 32 years old, and not wearing a suit.