Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Rome, Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua premier,aa gold,amex plat, starwood plat, marriott silver

Just tried to redeem points for 3 nights in Rome for March, 2006. Nothing is available. As far as I know, there's nothing going on then, so what's the deal? Anyone else have a hard time redeeming points for rooms in Rome? Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:52 pm

Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the Lent...

All of March next year is the Lenten season. Rome may be teeming with pilgrims during that time period. Maybe that's why you're finding it hard to get an award room?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:33 pm

Read the previous posts on this hotel

The Grand Flora is difficult to get for award stays. You should read all the posts about this hotel and keep trying. I have managed to get 2 rooms at this hotel starting at the end of December. Currently one room is for 6 nights and the 2nd for 7 nights. I have had to book these nights piecemeal since this hotel releases rooms in a random manner. You should also be checking day by day. The trick is to run a check every day or two online to see if the hotel has released any rooms for awards.

There is also a new Marriott opening up in Rome soon so you may get lucky and find rooms there.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by acnev
The Grand Flora is difficult to get for award stays. You should read all the posts about this hotel and keep trying. I have managed to get 2 rooms at this hotel starting at the end of December. Currently one room is for 6 nights and the 2nd for 7 nights. I have had to book these nights piecemeal since this hotel releases rooms in a random manner. You should also be checking day by day. The trick is to run a check every day or two online to see if the hotel has released any rooms for awards. There is also a new Marriott opening up in Rome soon so you may get lucky and find rooms there.
I got a 7-day award stay in May 2003 during the Masters Series tennis open. I guess it takes a bit of luck.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:09 pm

In Sept I got 8 nights at the Rome Marriott with no problems. Off season is great.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Rome Central Park Hotel / Courtyard Rome

I read somewhere that they will change the Rome Central Park Hotel into a Courtyard. Does anyone know when that will officially happen? As a full service international Marriott, I am assuming it has to have some sort of club lounge, and if its a Courtyard, that will be gone?

Any experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: MR Plat, BW Rewards Plat, CP Gold, HH Silver, Delta Skymiles
Never assume

Just stayed at the Rome Central Park Hotel and, while it was a convenient walk to the train station, and was upgraded on an award stay to a junior suite, we did have problems, but I'll get to that in a second.

The hotel is indeed switching to be branded a Courtyard Inn. It is not considered a FS Marriott, and does not have any type of lounge. I was on an award stay and was not given breakfast free.

The troubles came one night when we tried to order room service.

It had been a long day of walking and we just wanted to eat in. Asked front desk staff about room service menu, they said it's in the room. Get to the room, no menu, so I call the front desk. They say they'll bring one up in 5 minutes. Okay....20 minutes later I go down to the lobby and inquire again, they say they're at the Bar, I go to the bar, no menus, and no one to assist me.....Go to the restaurant, they tell me I have to go to the bar also....Stop at the front desk. Wait while the staff person continues to flip through papers, then she flags down the bartender. He says he'll get one, then proceeds to go make a drink for someone and bring it to the restaurant. I'm getting really irritated at this point. He comes back and has the rest. copy of the menu and says he can't let me take it, but if I give him my order, he can put it in. I tell him my wife is in the room and wants food too, he continues to insist he can't take it, to which I reply, "So you're telling me I need to go get my wife and make her come down here to order room service?" He finally relents and gives me the copy. When I order and bring it back, I stop at the desk to find out if the manager will be in in the morning, with the desk clerk asking me why. I finally talk to him, and the restaurant manager in the morning, and they offer me the "very generous" 20% reduction in the bill. We were checking out and I was too tired to fight, but was expecting something more like at least half off. In the final wind up, they blame the switch over to a Courtyard for the shortage of printed menus.

Very frustrating in that everyone but me was getting helped during this ordeal and I have a feeling it had something to do with me being 32 years old, and not wearing a suit.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Damn...that would really make me flip; you handled it well.

Isn't it ironic that the toughest place to order delivery pizza, perhaps in the world (exaggeration for effect) is Italy?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:53 pm

Rome Award Avaiability

We have been watching for award availability at the Grand Flora in Rome (for a long weekend in October) for awhile now and nothing has come up. Has anyone been there this summer? I know there have been award availability issues at this particular hotel.

Would appreciate any opinions on what is a next best option if we dont get any award nights at this hotel. Given the expense of the hotels in Rome, we would like to use our miles rather than pay cash. Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:23 pm

I managed to snag 7 nights at the Grand Flora over the week of Thanksgiving on an award. I booked it in early January, so it was under the old structure and only cost 150,000 points.^

Since then, I've felt compelled to check the cash rates for that week a few times, just to see what they were, and I checked the award availability as well. Never, since I was able to book the award, have I seen any award availability there.

While there are technically no blackout dates under the new system, I believe the hotels can set capacity controls, and it looks like they're being pretty stingy.
I may be wrong about the capacity controls, so if someone else knows better, feel free to correct me, but that's my understanding. I don't think the hotels get paid as well by corporate for the award stays as they do for cash rates, so the high dollar hotels might have a significant incentive to limit the number of award rooms they give.

I've never stayed there, but the Central Park Hotel seems to have much better award availibility. It just joined the Marriott family and will be re-branded as a Courtyard shortly.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: AS MVP 75k Gold, Marriott Platinum
I stayed at the Grand Flora for 5 nights in June. I asked the front desk manager about staying there on points. I was informed that there was availability, but one needs to call the hotel direct. Perhaps somebody can confirm this.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:05 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SouthAnch
I was informed that there was availability, but one needs to call the hotel direct. Perhaps somebody can confirm this.
I can't confirm this, but I can say that the Grand Flora is one of about 3 or 4 Marriott hotels that doesn't have to follow the normal "No Blackout" dates. So unfortunately, they can and do blackout days.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:10 am
Suspended

October is one of the most highly desirable times in Rome and Italy for that matter. I was able to book 2 award rooms for 3 nights at the Flora over the summer weekends this summer. However, you should approach it the following way -- if all nights don't come up for you, try each night separately on awards -- then check back to see if additional nights are added as awards -- in my case they were and I was able to construct 3 consecutive nights.

If you can't get the Flora, I have read here and on Tripadvisor fairly good things about the soon to be Courtyard in Rome, known as the Central hotel?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott PP
One tip you can do is start to piece meal it.

Check each day and see which ones are available, make reservations for any days you can. Then check weekly (or daily) on the remaining days. Hopefully you can finally get all the days you want in total. Then go ahead and call and see if they can make it one reservation. This is how I got a hotel in Aruba over the holidays.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
October is one of the most highly desirable times in Rome and Italy for that matter. I was able to book 2 award rooms for 3 nights at the Flora over the summer weekends this summer. However, you should approach it the following way -- if all nights don't come up for you, try each night separately on awards -- then check back to see if additional nights are added as awards -- in my case they were and I was able to construct 3 consecutive nights.

If you can't get the Flora, I have read here and on Tripadvisor fairly good things about the soon to be Courtyard in Rome, known as the Central hotel?
Thanks, seems like a good strategy, which we can try. I appreciate all the tips from everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.