FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Berlin {DEU}
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 1999, 2:08 pm
Catman
Commander Catcop

Sorry, this is going to be a LONG posting.

Rudi is Right about the I-C... it's a more
central location in Berlin.

I took the Hilton because I got a chance to use points for a free two night stay on my way back from my Central Europe trip (also stayed there to earn points in my arrival trip from the U-S to sleep off the Jetlag.)

The Hilton's in the Former East Berlin. From
when I was there (two years ago) the area kind of dies at night. Hotel I think was a Soviet built hotel, basic, clean rooms though the Halls and some of the furnishings looked out of 19-60's Moscow. The Lobby and grand Staircase is beautiful, and if he's still working there's a conseierge with salt and pepper hair and beard, multi-lingual who was very helpful on my dumb questions (like where's the supermarket) as well as making sure my free stays were honored. I forget his name.

There's a good german and French restaurant in the hotel I dined in. They did not mind they were serving a single man.

Hilton's a decent walk to the Brandenburg gate and Checkpoint Charlie and of course the Wall. Do take the subway if you can. It's clean and safe. You'll see various views of the Changing Berlin from the renewal in the East to the graffiti and homeless who kept asking me for change for Beer in the West near this restaurant that specialized in Fried Chicken.

If you walk behind the hotel you'll see that horrid constrution of Soviet Era Germany. Went there to get cough medicine, there's also a supermarket if you need muchchie food.

People cordial, the young immediately detected I was an American. I don't know why.

If I go I would stay there again unless I get a better deal from I-C or the Westin )closer to The gate.)

Enjoy your trip and give us a review of your travels when you get back! CATMAN