FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?
Old May 1, 2009, 2:59 pm
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Bill_Luv2Fly
Judging by the excitement level of the OP on the other site, the changes must be substantive---something that changes the shape of the program in ways much more so than the addition of one-way awards.

1) Domestic upgrades will be cleared based on elite level and fare class. Although I like the fact that booking early nearly ensures an upgrade, it makes no sense that I sit in FC on a Q/N/S fare when someone who purchased a Y/B fare at 3x the price sits in a middle seat in the back.

2) EVIPs will require copays similar to mileage upgrades.

3) Two additional EVIPs will be earned for each additional 50K EQM/EQP over 100K.

What I hope it is not is a substantial change in qualifying terms...but maybe AA will take the lead in changing to a reward system more closely aligned with $$$ spent on tickets.
Clearing upgrades within elite status by fare code makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. One issue is that AA begins to clear EXP upgs at 100 hours and PLT at 72 hours and of course someone booking a last minute business trip at big $$s might still lose out on an upgrade possibility. So to make this work AA would need to reduce the window for clearing upgrades.

Personally since I buy my tixs weeks in advance, I would not like to see this change. But from a revenue reward prespective, I could certainly understand it.