FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closed AmEx cards and lost all MR miles! Help!!!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:34 pm
J-FLyer

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Originally Posted by MileJunkie
Sorry if this came up before (I did all the searching I could in the short time I had), but I have an urgent problem: my wife closed her AmEx Platinum card some time ago w/o realizing that all the MR points (close to a million!) will be gone. And they are!

She spoke w/AmEx rep on the phone, they see the exact balance she used to have, but say points are not recoverable. Apparently, one has to transfer/use them with 30 days of closing the card. Who knew?

If this is true, it really sucks, she had a lot of points, mine and hers and her business' cards were all connected to that one account for years. Little by little we closed them all, her Plat was the last one.

Any help? Can we get any/all points back?

- MileJunkie
I'm not sure this has been tried yet, perhaps if you agree to open a new platinum account they will agree to link-up your old MR account to the new account? Again, I've never tried it nor heard of any success, but it would be a shame to lose over a million points. Good Luck!