Closed AmEx cards and lost all MR miles! Help!!!

Old Apr 22, 09, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
Closed AmEx cards and lost all MR miles! Help!!!

Sorry if this came up before (I did all the searching I could in the short time I had), but I have an urgent problem: my wife closed her AmEx Platinum card some time ago w/o realizing that all the MR points (close to a million!) will be gone. And they are!

She spoke w/AmEx rep on the phone, they see the exact balance she used to have, but say points are not recoverable. Apparently, one has to transfer/use them with 30 days of closing the card. Who knew?

If this is true, it really sucks, she had a lot of points, mine and hers and her business' cards were all connected to that one account for years. Little by little we closed them all, her Plat was the last one.

Any help? Can we get any/all points back?

- MileJunkie
Old Apr 22, 09, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by MileJunkie View Post
Sorry if this came up before (I did all the searching I could in the short time I had), but I have an urgent problem: my wife closed her AmEx Platinum card some time ago w/o realizing that all the MR points (close to a million!) will be gone. And they are!

She spoke w/AmEx rep on the phone, they see the exact balance she used to have, but say points are not recoverable. Apparently, one has to transfer/use them with 30 days of closing the card. Who knew?

If this is true, it really sucks, she had a lot of points, mine and hers and her business' cards were all connected to that one account for years. Little by little we closed them all, her Plat was the last one.

- MileJunkie
The 30 day rule is pretty common knowledge around these parts. Sorry for your loss, but did it really never occur to either of you that if you closed all of your AMEX accounts that you may lose your MR? What made you think AMEX would keep track of yours and everyones points forever when they cancel accounts with them?

You really have no one to be mad at on this issue expect yourself, I don't know of any credit cards that allow you access to your reward account indefinitely after you close the account, in fact AMEX is one on the longer cancellation redemption times out there, I believe many issuers make you "use them or lose them" upon or even before closing the account.
Old Apr 22, 09, 2:34 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA

- MileJunkie
I'm not sure this has been tried yet, perhaps if you agree to open a new platinum account they will agree to link-up your old MR account to the new account? Again, I've never tried it nor heard of any success, but it would be a shame to lose over a million points. Good Luck!
Old Apr 22, 09, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Best bet at this point would be to call or write a letter the executive offices in NYC and beg forgiveness. Tell them that in exchange for reinstating your MR points you'll agree to keep the card open and give them $X amount of business for the next 12-24 months (whatever you think you can commit to).

Good luck...

American Express Company
Executive Offices
200 Vesey Street
New York, New York 10285
212-640-2000

Executive Secretary's Office
212-640-5583
Old Apr 22, 09, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
One of the disclaimers they verbally tell you, and send in the mail is that you lose your MR if you cancel. Unfortunately, with a million in the bank, a little more due dilligence should have been conducted. Sorry for your loss, best of luck in recovery.
Old Apr 22, 09, 6:00 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
You call yourself MileJunkie and do not know such a fundamental thing?
Old Apr 22, 09, 7:02 pm

I have read somewhere that Amex has changd 30 day policy to upto 90 days from account closing just not to long ago, however cannot find any info.
Old Apr 22, 09, 7:54 pm

I would imediately try and reopen the old account or a new platinum card if they refuse to open the old account. Pay the fee and ony after you have the account AND ARE USING THE CARD ask for your miles back. DO NOT ASK FOR THE MILES BACK UNTIL YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT.
Old Apr 22, 09, 8:12 pm

Administrative emails for American Express

[email protected]

Steven D Ebmeier
Executive Consumer Relations
Member since 1988

[email protected]

American Express CEO
Old Apr 22, 09, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stars4SA View Post
Administrative emails for American Express

Executive Consumer Relations
Member since 1988

American Express CEO
Do you really think that emailing the CEO is the correct way to beg for the miles back?
Old Apr 22, 09, 9:05 pm

I know of a coworker that did just the opossite.

Spent a ton of money with his amex card(refundable airfare J). Waited for the points to be posted in MR and then transfered to one airline and use the miles.

Shortly after he cancelled those J tickets charged to the card and requested the refund. When he got it done he cxld the amex card.

I guess amex was very mad of him! BUt it worked. He still keeps a different card with amex though.
Old Apr 22, 09, 10:03 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Very lucky not to get charged at $.025 per mile for that.
Old Apr 22, 09, 10:34 pm

Yes without question. Who is the one with authority? Its not normally the one that answers the 1 800 number. It is the executive or his executive secretary. If I would have found an email for the secretary I would have said to begin there. However, I would bet the company executive would want to make a customer happy especially if the customer took the time to find the executives contact info.

BTW - I have contacted executives/secretary on two occassions and have been pleased with the outcome.
Old Apr 23, 09, 3:30 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by Stars4SA View Post
However, I would bet the company executive would want to make a customer happy especially if the customer took the time to find the executives contact info.

BTW - I have contacted executives/secretary on two occassions and have been pleased with the outcome.
However, we are not talking about a customer here (any more).

I don't quite understand the attitude of "I did not bother to read the rules nor think about what I did, surely I should not have to pay the consequences." For crying out loud, Amex even had a thirty day grace period.

I would think the only reasonable way for the OP to get the points back is to rejoin.

Cheers,
T.
Old Apr 23, 09, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Do you really think that emailing the CEO is the correct way to beg for the miles back?
Yes. A mea culpa to the Executive office is the only chance, IMHO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: