FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Allegiant Air Experience
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:30 pm
Jay71

Anyways, the original purpose of me seeking out this old thread was that I thought I'd give a heads up on a shady charge that my wife's credit card was nailed with after booking with Allegiant.

It seems like Allegiant has a partnership with Webloyalty which has some dodgey business practices. Basically, what happens is that when you purchase your Allegiant ticket, I think there's a link describing getting a $10 refund/discount or something like that. If you click on it, a secondary window appears that basically looks like some kind of spammy/crap sales pitch that you probably don't want to take part in. I think my wife simply closed the window, never clicking on an "I agree" button, never providing credit card info, never providing an email address; the standard thing you'd expect when you enter a purchase agreement online. The problem though, is that Allegiant likely has some kind of information sharing agreement with Webloyalty (see below) so you don't have to necessarily enter the info on the secondary window for Webloyalty to get it. Webloyalty then charges a recurring $10USD a month to the credit card you used to book with Allegiant. [Interestingly, they charged $12CDN in CDN to my wife's credit card so there wasn't a conversion notation for that line item that would have raised alarm bells.] The amount is small enough that it's easy to miss if you don't scrutinize your statement. What do you get in return? You're part of a travel club where you get discount travel deals (though I'm not sure what happened to the $10 refund/discount you're promised at the beginning.)

Apparently Webloyalty sends some kind of email confirmation but I read they design it so that it will likely marked or sent to the spam bin. There is a 800 number associated with the credit card line item. If you call it, it sounds like Webloyalty will cancel your subscription and refund your money relatively painlessly. The theory is, that you're just a drop in the bucket compared to all the others who didn't catch this charge. I'm assuming Allegiant gets a kickback of some sort. Google "Webloyalty scam" if you want more info.

This casts a bit of a bad light on Allegiant for me even though it isn't the only legit company that partners up with Webloyalty. I just don't know if I want to support this kind of business practice and I suppose I can vote with my dollars.

Anyways, if you book a flight though Allegiant, watch out for this scam. If you have booked with Allegiant, check your credit card statement for a $10-12 charge referencing Webloyalty or something to that effect.

Here's what Allegiant's privacy policy says (bold emphasis by me):
"Allegiant Air is concerned about your right to privacy. When you visit the Allegiant Air web site, you can be assured that any information you share with us will be treated confidentially. The only instances that would require us to disclose Customer information (i.e. - name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, etc.) is under legal subpoena, to verify billing information with the Customer's financial institution, credit card fraud detection or other valid law enforcement requests. In addition, from time to time, we may market certain third party services through our site. Should you choose to accept an offer from a third party, we will pass your relevant personal information, including your name, postal address, email address and your credit/debit card number, to that third party."